Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Service Pack Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:46 AM

I downloaded and installed Windows Vista Service Pack 1 recently. When the PC rebooted, I lost the internet and a pop up came up saying Driver incompatible which was relating to True Vector (I think its something to do with Zone Alarm which I have installed).
I swiftly uninstalled the Service Pack and everything worked ok, and I want to keep it that way. The problem I have is I think Windows Update has downloaded it again, and now everytime the PC is on, the small update icon is in the taskbar saying new updates are available - install from Windows update.
I have been into windows update and the only thing there is this Service Pack.

Is there any way I can stop this update icon from coming up telling me to install what I dont want?

This is really bugging me now - please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delta dart

delta dart

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

You should download Vista SP-1. Eventually you will need it. If you are having problems go to th MS free help site here

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.a...mp;gprid=500921 .

These people are in India but are much better than Dells techs. They are hard to understand sometimes but if you get the right ones they are good. I find it eaiser to use the chat site.You dont have to put up with the accent which is somtimes difficult.

Russ

#3 ShoringFan

ShoringFan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

If you cannt find device driver for Vista SP1, maybe you can close the Windows Update until you want to update your system, and you should close the Windows Security Center also (find and change the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" in the Windows Security Center).

#4 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

Ok thanks for all your help - I will contact Microsoft

#5 teckspprtgddss

teckspprtgddss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

Before you download the Vista SP see if Zone Alarm has any new patches for it yet. Don't know if they are in India or not, but they might know of the problem and have a fix already.

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

To turn off this notification:
Select the update, Right click, and choose Hide Update.

However, your problem of SP1 not working with True vector means that you have an incompatible version of Zonealarm installed.

What version of Zonealarm are you using?

If it's 7.1.078.000, then it is NOT compatible with SP1.

You need to upgrade to the latest version.

If you have Zonealarm Pro:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...tory_vista.html

If you have Zonealarm Free version:

If you have Zonealarm Security Suite:

Simply download, save to desktop, and run the setup. When asked what type of installation choose UPGRADE.

Once it's installed and rebooted:

Go back to Windows Update and select the option to re-offer hidden updates. SP1 should be offered.

Here's a tip:

- turn OFF all antivirus, realtime protection and SHUTDOWN THE ZONEALARM FIREWALL before you start the SP1 download and install. You can safely turn on the Windows Firewall in the interim if you're a little paranoid about being without protection for a short time. If you work behind a router, you should be fine.

When SP1 reboots your computer to take the next while to install the service pack, Zonealarm will come back on when all is finished. Make sure that Windows Firewall is now OFF since Zonealarm is now running.

Hope this helps. :huh:

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thats brilliant .. thanks for all your advise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users