Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Sometimes Won't Close

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

Outlook 2003 sometimes won't close and the icon will remain in the system tray. It happens about once out of every 3 or 4 times when I use Outlook and then try to close it with with the red X button on the title bar. Process Explorer confirms that Outlook and Winword are still listed as running. I thought it had to do with an electrical storm that shut my system down one evening, so I restored to a point from 2 days before the storm. I thought it was fixed for a couple of days, but then it started it again. It also seems to do it only when it has been open for a length of time, more than just a few minutes.

I recently started opening it with dropmyrights.exe, as well as my browsers. They haven't had any glitches, just Outlook. I only use it for email, nothing else.
Any ideas what it might be? What are your opinions of using Dropmyrights, and could that be causing this minor nuisance?
Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:14 AM

I'm guessing that you created a shortcut in the dropmyrights for the Outlook Express? Are you using this to open and close OE? If not this could be the problem. Try disabling the dropmyrights and see if the problem continues.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

I'm guessing that you created a shortcut in the dropmyrights for the Outlook Express? Are you using this to open and close OE? If not this could be the problem. Try disabling the dropmyrights and see if the problem continues.

No, I didn't set up Outlook Express to open with a DMR shortcut, only Outlook 2003. I never use OE unless Outlook 2003 calls it up without my knowlege for some reason.
I'll set Outlook back to open normally and see if the problem goes away. Either way, I'll continue to use DMR and just get in the habit of closing it with the file menu. I haven't had any problem with the browsers so far.

Is DMR a commonly used utility around here?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

I can only relate to what I read when I google this, but it seems that there aren't any glaring complaints. What I did read is that you need to load the application that you wish to open into the dropmyrights and open and close them from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

I can only relate to what I read when I google this, but it seems that there aren't any glaring complaints. What I did read is that you need to load the application that you wish to open into the dropmyrights and open and close them from there.

That's news to me. I'll copy my Outlook.exe into the dropmyrights folder and try it that way. I'll read some more on Google too. Thanks, dc3.

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Problem solved, sorry it took so long for me to get back. Right after posting about this, I realized what was happening. After opening Outlook to read my mail, I would minimize it, and I have Outlook options set to hide when minimized. But I was trying to restore it from the quickstart icon instead of the system tray icon. It must've been opening another session of Outlook, though it didn't show multiples in Process Explorer. I have not experimented to see whether or not DMR was involved. Thanks for your replies.

Am I stupid or what! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users