Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toj_generic.adv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fasih

Fasih

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

I am using Trend Micro Internet Security Suite on Windows XP and i scanned and got 3 Troj.Generic.ADV in System Volume. The last time i deleted a suspected virus in system volume, i would start getting blue screens.

I'm not sure what to do, if i delete them, i get blue screens, if i keep them, i don't know what will happen. Can anyone please tell me what are Troj_Generic.ADV, how harmful are they to my computer, and whether or not i should delete them.

Here's some pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So can someone please help me.

Edited by Fasih, 24 June 2008 - 10:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fasih

Fasih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Anyone?

#3 Fasih

Fasih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:34 PM

Still Waiting, someone please help me.

#4 Fasih

Fasih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

Please help, i really need to get some help here.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

The infected RP***\A00*****.exe file(s) identified by your scan are in the System Volume Information Folder (SVI) which is a part of System Restore. This is the feature that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer to a clean working state. The SVI folder is protected by permissions that only allow the system to have access and is hidden by default unless you have reconfigured Windows to show it.

System Restore will back up the good as well as the bad files so when malware is present on the system it gets included in any restore points as an A00***** file. When you scan your system with anti-virus or anti-malware tools, you may receive an alert or notification that a virus was found in the SVI folder (System Restore points) but the anti-virus software was unable to remove it. Since the SVI folder is a protected directory, most scanning tools cannot access it to disinfect or delete these files. If not removed, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point.

To remove these file(s), the easiest thing to do is Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state and use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point.

Then rescan again with Trend Micro.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users