Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Reinstall Will Not Take Goes To Message Stop: 0x0000008e

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 llshoemaker

llshoemaker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

My father got a virus on his computer a couple of weeks ago. It took me a while to get to it and by the time I did it had messed up the control panel and had the bugs crawling on the screen eating things. I tried to format but I kept getting the message

STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000006, 0XF91E7FEA, 0XF969CA14, 0X00000000)
***Setupdd.sys - Address F91E7FEA base at F91C6000, DATEStamp 41107C8f
***ace3550.sys - Address F969CA14 base at F969CA14 DATEStamp 0000000

I checked out the RAM as the message told me to but had no luck. Dug a little deeper into some postings by others and found that a couple people had the same error message but it was a virus. I installed recovery console and got to see it once. Now I cannot get into save mode nor can I get back to recovery console.
When I attempt to boot without a disk it tells me that it cannot load operating system
And when I boot with a disk it is still giving me the STOP error.

Please Help me!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:16 AM

What is the current operating system? Your not trying repair (for example) Windows XP Home with Windows XP Pro?

Edited by FireKracker, 25 June 2008 - 05:17 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:04 AM

If you want to know what caused the probrem, I recommend visiting here.
You can search this page with your Stop Message(0x0000008E) and click an appropriate link.
You might be able to find how to solve this problem.

Edited by HIPPO1023, 25 June 2008 - 07:05 AM.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

I might suggest that you strip the computer down to the minimum...Monitor, Key-Board and Mouse, One stick of RAM, CD-Rom, and HDD...Un-plug printers, any other external devices, and modems...Then restart the computer with the XP CD in the tray and try to re-load this way. (Make sure that BIOS is set to boot from CD-Rom). If it won't work this way try to either move the RAM to a different slot or use another stick in it's place.

The 0x0000008e error code does suggest RAM problems on google searches but it may or may not be the complete problem. My big concern would be the malware infection that started this to begin with. A clean installation should fix that if you can get past the stop error (but I didn't need to tell you that)...

Good Luck
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

How did you check the RAM out? Here's a link to a Microsoft page that suggests it's a RAM issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335
I'd suggest running this free memory test: http://www.memtest86.com/

There are very few results for ace3550.sys when searching Google - this is suspicious.

I would first test the memory, then format the hard drive, then try installing Windows.
You'll probably have to slave the hard drive to another system to backup any data before wiping the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 llshoemaker

llshoemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:40 AM

No I am using a windows xp home version on both.

#7 llshoemaker

llshoemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hey Guys I know it's been a few days but I am back at it. I went and purchased a new Hard drive to see if this would fix the problem.. No such luck. This leads me to believe that it is the cache or shadowing that I need to tend to. However (please no laughing) I cannot remember how to turn off the cache. I am working on a Dell Optiplex GX100.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

Are you saying that a brand new hard drive...with a new install of XP...exhibits the same symptoms as your troubled drive?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945658/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users