Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Display Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 redheath

redheath

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

I have been having strange display problems only on webpages (using either Firefox or IE) and Windows Media Player 11. Buttons and drop down menus have no background to them. Certain headline banners have no color. Some items don't show up at all.

View screen shot here: screenshot on flickr.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:13 AM

Humm sounds to me like that some of your security options have been altered within your Internet Settings.

Hit START >> SETTINGS >> CONTROL PANEL >> INTERNET OPTIONS >> then choose the SECURITY tab and look at your settings in there. If this hasen't changed perhaps some settings within your firewall and or antivirus are preventing you from displaying a correct page?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 redheath

redheath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Fire, but nope, the settings look fine and the firewall is normal. Non-internet things like Windows Media Player 11 and random dialogue boxes don't display correctly either.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

:thumbsup: to the forums BTW! Could you provide us with the specificaton of your comptuter? E.g,
- Make & model (assuming that you didn't buils your own)
- Graphics Card, (make and model)
- Monitor type (make and model + whether or not its LCD / CRT

Then we maybe able to help further!
Posted Image

#5 redheath

redheath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Dell Dimension B110, XP SP 2
Monitor: Dell 17 E173FP LCD
Intel 82865G, Intel Extreme 2 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
INTEL® EXTREME GRAPHICS 2 REPORT
Report Date: 06/29/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 16:10:06
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4396
Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 509 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 96 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 8 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2527 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2572
Device Revision: 02

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

Cheers for that info, also what version of IE and Firefox are you using? Long shot, are your display drivers upto date?
Posted Image

#7 redheath

redheath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

Firefox/2.0.0.15
IE 7.0.5730.11

The Windows update wizard for the Graphics controller says it could not find a better driver match. Same for the monitor driver. Any other drivers to check?

Thanks for your help.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

Corrupted video drivers can and do report themselves as being up to date. Uninstalling the old drivers, then installing a fresh copy of the driver will frequently help resolve problems like this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Just to add a question, Have you used or updated your systems HOSTS file?
Regards,

Alan.

#10 redheath

redheath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hello again,
I installed a fresh copy of the graphics driver from Intel. No change.

The display of Windows Media Player 11 and occasional (non-internet) dialog boxes have the same problem as the internet pages, so I'm suspicious that it's not a Hosts file problem.

Here is a screenshot showing my Windows Media Player: http://www.flickr.com/photos/heatherrj/2609569886/

I looked at the hosts files and I have some lists from Spybot that seem okay. Do you have a recommendation for updating them?

#11 redheath

redheath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

Oh, yes and I have Adblock Plus with Firefox and tried turning it off, but it made no difference.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:08 AM

If its happening to non internet related applications then you are right about the HOSTS file.

Have you installed any third party theme packs?
Regards,

Alan.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

I'm messing around with my Firefox buttons right now (thanks to nigglesnush85) and have found that a lot of that stuff is related to Java/Javascript. Try uninstalling all your Java stuff and then reinstall the latest version available from the Sun website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users