Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problems

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 coopgang

coopgang

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

When I start up my computer, I get this message 90% of the time

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

and

"Symantec Settings Manager Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I get the same thing for Microsoft Management Console (I think that's the name) when I try to run it to manually start these processes. I can't add/delete programs b/c it says "An exception occured while trying to run "Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL appwiz.cpl,,3" Then it says "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and..." , nor can I run System Restore (System Restore Application has encountered a problem...). Plus, my taskbar sometime changes to the old Windows 95 style (the bland beige color). Lately, it also says that "Watson Subscriber for SENS Network Notifications has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I couldn't even log onto the internet. But I re-started a few times, and everything works fine now.

The only way I can solve it is by restarting the computer a random number of times, usually more than 10. Then my computer starts up fine and I can do everything normally. I tried running Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton and they didn't really find anything. I turned off my system restore after using these programs to scan for problems, but when I restarted the computer, I got the same message. I posted a HJT log in this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136630/start-up-problems/

and followed all the instructions given to me, but I was referred here by the poster working on my problem, as he said he didn't find any malware on my system.

It's pretty evident I have something wrong, but I have no idea what, or how to fix it. And I don't want to have to keep my computer running 24/7 to avoid the problem. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

I would start by running chkdsk on the hard drive.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 coopgang

coopgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Well, so far so good. I've restarted it twice and haven't had any problems. I'll keep an eye on it. Is there anyway to find the log of check disk to see what may have been the problem? Thanks fpr your help, I was at my wits end with this situation. Hopefully the problem is fixed.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

This may be what you are looking for:

http://www.xpscandisk.com/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 coopgang

coopgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

OK, the same problem happened last night. I ran checkdisk and it was OK, but when I turned my computer back on today, the same thing happened. I got it to boot normally after about 6 or 7 times of restarting, but I'm very concerned. Everything was going OK, but now it seems as if the problem keeps coming back.

Here's a copy of the checkdisk log, if that helps.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 7/27/2008
Time: 11:04:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JCOOP
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 29 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 29 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 29 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

78148160 KB total disk space.
63291572 KB in 85754 files.
39576 KB in 6039 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
169696 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
14647316 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19537040 total allocation units on disk.
3661829 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
50 87 01 00 9c 66 01 00 b5 20 02 00 00 00 00 00 P....f... ......
ef 08 00 00 02 00 00 00 e0 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
b4 a5 fa 05 00 00 00 00 90 f9 ea 44 00 00 00 00 ...........D....
5a 70 29 07 00 00 00 00 e8 36 de c0 05 00 00 00 Zp)......6......
54 69 3c 05 01 00 00 00 f6 0b 5f 1f 07 00 00 00 Ti<......._.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 88 38 07 00 fa 4e 01 00 ..6......8...N..
00 00 00 00 00 d0 02 17 0f 00 00 00 97 17 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:31 AM

The checkdisk log indicates that it fixed some problems on your disk. Could you search for other events of this type to see if it's happening repeatedly? If you find several repetitions, then that may indicate a problem with your hard drive.

To check the hard drive you can download a diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and run it. It'll tell you if the drive is damaged. Choose the long or extended test if it gives you that option - the short/quick test usually isn't as reliable as the long/extended test.

If it passes the hard drive test, then it's likely that Windows is damaged - and we can work through that once we know the results of the hard drive test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 coopgang

coopgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:48 PM

The checkdisk log indicates that it fixed some problems on your disk. Could you search for other events of this type to see if it's happening repeatedly? If you find several repetitions, then that may indicate a problem with your hard drive.

When you say search for other events, what do you mean exactly? I'll look for a diagnostic test for my hard drive and report back to you.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:43 AM

In the event viewer there may be other instances (in the Source column) that refer to Winlogon - these should mainly be the record of any chkdsk's that have been run.

This is just a "clue" that there "may" be something wrong with the hard drive. The actual errors are related to the NTFS file system that stores the files on the drive. Most often these errors are benign and not worth worrying about (and chkdsk will fix them). But occasionally the file system get's hosed and needs chkdsk to fix itself. If the "hosing" keeps happening there's several likely reasons, the most common being a failing hard drive - which the hard drive diagnostic will be able to determine.

Edited by usasma, 31 July 2008 - 07:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 coopgang

coopgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

I checked my last 2 Windows logons, and there was nothing in the "bad sectors" section which I read was a sign that the hard drive was going down.

I also ran the diagnostic that I got from the Western Digital website This is the name of it: Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG for Windows

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD800BB-23JHC0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAM95140333
Firmware Number: 06.01C06
Capacity: 80.03 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 21:18:54, July 31, 2008

It said everything was fine. I'm not sure if I got the wrong diagnostic tool or what, but there's obviously something wrong. Any other ideas. And thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated.

Edited by coopgang, 31 July 2008 - 08:56 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

Yes, that's the correct test (presuming that you have a Western Digital hard drive) - and it indicates that there's nothing wrong with your hard drive.

You're not spitting out constant chkdsk corrections, so that's good also.

Here's a couple of things to try:
1) Uninstall your Norton/Symantec products and see if the problem persists. If not, try reinstalling them to see if it surfaces again.
2) Press F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up, and select "Repair your computer". Don't choose System Restore, then let it check for startup problems (here's a link about how to use it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

If this doesn't fix it, then there's other things to try.

#11 coopgang

coopgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

Oh boy (uninstalling Norton). That tutorial is for Vista and I have XP, does that matter?

Edited by coopgang, 04 August 2008 - 10:12 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

Sorry, I've had another brain cramp! (I switch between the Vista and XP forums and get confused sometimes!)

Here's the instructions for the XP Recovery Console: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/
First run "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes), and then run...
"fixmbr" (without the quotes), and then run...
"fixboot" (without the quotes).

Type exit to get out of it, then reboot your system.

#13 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

I once had a problem with things acting mean and crazy. It was because I had unsuccessfully uninstalled mcafee trial software. I just reinstalled the software, and then all was ok. I'm not sure. Have you uninstalled anything latley? maybe you need to repair? have you tried reinstalling/installing xp sp3? that might help.
Posted Image

#14 coopgang

coopgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

Big problem here. When I try to run the recovery console, I can't use the arrow keys to select it. I can't even press 'enter' The timer just runs down until Windows boots up normally. My keyboard works fine, but I can't use it to select anything when I'm booting up. I press F8 to try to run it that way, but once I get to the screen to select between normal start up and the recovery console, I'm screwed.

I'm gonna try to download SP3 and see if that works b/c uninstalling Norton would be my last resort.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Are you using a USB keyboard? Is your BIOS set to recognize legacy USB devices? You can try a PS2 type keyboard to see if that helps.

If you're using a PS2 keyboard, then I'd have to suspect problems either with the keyboard itself, or with your motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users