Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shut offs

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 HeistPCP

HeistPCP

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

Today would of been great day if my dell had been working. Earlier today I was using the computer and while browsing my computer shut off. I immediately tried to turn my computer on and ask the chkdsk screen appeared everything seemed fine. After a few minutes into it, it shut off again and the same problem has been going on. Anyone know what's wrong? The highest percentage I received during chkdsk was 90%.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

Try running checkdisc in safe mode.

Is this a laptop or a desktop? How old is it and when was the last time it was cleaned - internal dust removed?

Shutdowns as you described can be attributable to heat buildup, a failing power supply or even a failing hard drive.

#3 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Try running checkdisc in safe mode.

Is this a laptop or a desktop? How old is it and when was the last time it was cleaned - internal dust removed?

Shutdowns as you described can be attributable to heat buildup, a failing power supply or even a failing hard drive.

How do I run chkdsk in safe mode?

It is a desktop. This year it will be three years. I haven't cleaned it in a long time. Maybe the dust has absorbed heat which is why it does that? What do I clean it with? A damp cloth or a dry one? Is it neccessary for me to take off my shield and wipe down the internal portion of my HD as well?

Edited by HeistPCP, 08 April 2005 - 09:19 PM.

#4 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:41 AM

anyone?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:02 AM

I would not advise you to wipe down anything inside the PC. Clean the outside with a soft dampened (not wet) cloth & a little detergent if you like.
Inside the PC is where you need to use the fine nozzle on the vacuum cleaner. Its the vents on the case and the power supply and around the CPU fan and heatsink, and any other fans that are important for good air circulation. If you want to be really thorough unplug all the cards from the bus slots, one at a time, and vac the slots before putting the cards back. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE POWER SUPPLY!
Vac up the mess on the bottom of the case but don't be too fussy - it won't affect anything down there.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:41 AM

Any advice on what I can do to open my computer's shield? It's not a normal bolt.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:18 AM

I don't know Dell stuff, the best i can suggest is ring their support line or check on the internet for details of opening the case. Have your Dell model number handy before you ring.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

I highly recommend that you do not use a plastic hose on a vacuum cleaner inside your computer. Air moving through through the hose creates static electricity and you can kiss your computer goodbye. Only rubber hoses are safe. For instance, Dirt Devil makes a kit for cleaning electronics that includes a small rubber hose, complete with attachments.

Alternately, use canned air to blow out the processor fins and fans, and, if necessary, use alcohol, such as can be obtained at Wal-Mart for CD cleaning, with Q-tips for cleaning the fan blades. Be sure to touch the metal of the case with your fingers before touching anything inside, and unplug the power because ATX motherboards stay hot even when shut down.

Remember, it only takes 30 volts of static electricity to destroy any electronic component inside the computer. Your body can easily accumulate 30,000 volts of static electricity.

#9 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

Anyone know how to run the computer's chkdsk in safe mode?

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Tap F8 repeatedly at bootup to go to safe mode.
Use arrow keys to navigate to Safe Mode, then hit the Enter key.
Log on as Administrator.

Once logged on:
Double click My Computer.
Right click C:
Select Properties.
Select Tools tab.
Under "Error Checking" click the Check Now... button.
Check both entries.
Reboot.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

Tap F8 repeatedly at bootup to go to safe mode.
Use arrow keys to navigate to Safe Mode, then hit the Enter key.
Log on as Administrator.

Once logged on:
Double click My Computer.
Right click C:
Select Properties.
Select Tools tab.
Under "Error Checking" click the Check Now... button.
Check both entries.
Reboot.

Thanks. Now hopefully it works on my computer. I'll post again after I try this.

Edited by HeistPCP, 09 April 2005 - 05:55 PM.

#12 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:16 PM

Sorry it took so long, I got locked up. I'll give you guys another briefing in a few hours or so.

#13 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

Still not working guys. Any more ideas?

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

Assuming you have a processor fan, is it working? Does it seem to be turning slowly? Did you blow the dust out of the heat sink covering the processor? (Using canned air)

This sounds like a heat problem, though it could also be a failing power supply or a memory error.

#15 HeistPCP

HeistPCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

Assuming you have a processor fan, is it working? Does it seem to be turning slowly? Did you blow the dust out of the heat sink covering the processor? (Using canned air)

This sounds like a heat problem, though it could also be a failing power supply or a memory error.

I sprayed the back of my HD. I couldn't open my dell because it has some weird ass bolts that I don't know how to open it. The bolts are circular and the tools you probably need to open it with is circular. Anyone know what I can use to open it with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users