Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logon/password For Xp Used As Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am setting up an computer with XP as a server for a small network. I have set several folder to share and I can reach them from other computers. However, I want users to have to logon and use a password and can't figure out how to set this up. Our other servers has 2000 and when you connect to //server the logon_password dialogue box opens. In the XP one, it immediately opens. What do I do? (believe it or not, I have more knowledge about this than the others in the organization) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Well...I don't ever logon and most persons seem to want to avoid logging on on systems like mine (single user, no one else has access to system).

But you might look at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm and see what ideas develop.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/h...wxppassword.htm

I suppose you need to create user accounts with passwords.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#3 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

I am setting up an computer with XP as a server for a small network. I have set several folder to share and I can reach them from other computers. However, I want users to have to logon and use a password and can't figure out how to set this up. Our other servers has 2000 and when you connect to //server the logon_password dialogue box opens. In the XP one, it immediately opens. What do I do? (believe it or not, I have more knowledge about this than the others in the organization) :thumbsup:

If the OS is XP Professional it can be done quite easily (hopefully the shared drive is formatted with NTFS):

You will either need to create an account for each user who would be accessing the box as a share or you
could create a simple share account if all will be using the same folder. I actually do both. You will need to make that decision for your needs. Anyway, once you have the account (or accounts) created, (assuming your logged in with admin rights), open up My Computer, Click Tools, select Folder Options, then click the View tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and there will be a line that says 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended), un check this box and OK your way out of there.

Now you'll need to use Windows Explorer and browse to those shared directories, right click on the directory, you will see a new tab called security, click on that, you will see the group "Everyone" has read access to your shared directory NOTE: If you want to add users, add them first BEFORE deleting the "Everyone" group. Remember, Administrators and SYSTEM are part of the "Everyone" group automatically. :flowers: You can inadvertently lock yourself out of the folder. (As a saftey measure, I add my own account and the system account as well and give them both full control.)

Unfortunately, if the OS is anything other then Win 2000 Pro or Windows Server or XP Pro (I'm not sure about Vista, I don't like it but I am thinking only Ultimate??) In other words, if you have XP Home or XP Media Center it can't be done natively since the Simple file sharing is not available to be turned off. However, you can find third party programs that will do this or come close to it. I use file sharing/drive mapping quite frequently as I seem to have a major allergy to stairs. :-)

Hope this helps you.
Jeff
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users