Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antiviruses And Speed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

I have a relatively old PC consisting essentially in 256RAM; PentiumIII/700, XP Pro, more than enough hard disk space inside a partioned internal one and another 80Gb that's external. Until just some weeks ago things got very much acceptably. I was using AVG 7.5. After that I have been going and coming to and from NOD 32.2, 32.3 and AVG 8, depending on how variable are opinions there and here. Currently, after my shareware NOD32.3 was completely deleted (including logging name and password) by Malwarebyte's Anti Malware I went back to free AVG 8. Now I practically cannot work, for everything run at incredibly low speed, as for example when trying to attach something to a message from "my documents" folder, opening Outlook 2003, etc,: also when writing in Word and a message arrives, the system collapses for a few seconds. The same for starting or closing. I know that it "seems" to be a RAM memory trouble, but it works against this theory the fact that I was working very well with almost the same applications than currently, I would say, until I moved from AVG 7.5 to AVG 8. I tried to work with Avir, but update was a real adventure that I am not disposed to accept at normal. It's obvious that my hard disks are defragmented and that I have passed the various antiviruses several times. No one except me manages the PC. Should I try with a lighter antivirus? Is it there a one like that? Is it true that AVG 7.5 will stop updating soon? I am expecting a 1 G RAM memory gift that one of the BC computer member from abroad has promised to send to me and I think this will help a real lot, but I feel that there is something more arround or, better, inside the PC. Many thanks and friendly regards.

Edited by merellogalasso, 24 June 2008 - 06:14 PM.

"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

I have a relatively old PC consisting essentially in 256RAM; PentiumIII/700, XP Pro

That there tells me that RAM is the most likely problem. The system requirements for XP were 256 MB as far as I can remember. That is only for the operating system. The more stuff you install and run, the slower it'll get. You will benefit greatly from increasing the amount of RAM. That is without a doubt, your major cause of slowdown. Also, from what I have read (since I have not yet tested it) AVG 8 takes up lots more resources, so that may account for why your computer's behaviour changed since the upgrade.

Hope this helps.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

I think so. It's a pitty the prompt die of AVG 7.5, but it is said that didin't protect well. Do you think that NOD 32.3 could be better? My shareware has been recently completely removed by a anti malware application. Regards and thanks

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

I think so. It's a pitty the prompt die of AVG 7.5, but it is said that didin't protect well. Do you think that NOD 32.3 could be better? My shareware has been recently completely removed by a anti malware application. Regards and thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, must be something lost in translation in there. AVG was perfectly acceptable protection... It was the most recommended freeware AV and I've been using it for over 5 years with no problem whatsoever.
NOD32.3? Are you talking about ESET?
If so, that is an excellent anti-virus, but it is not free. If I had to recommend a paid for AV, that would be it though.

What shareware? And which anti-malware application are you referring to?
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

If you are looking for a new Anti-Virus, you may wish to see the results of AV-Comparatives.org testing. Apparently, NOD32 has been doing very well :thumbsup:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

If you are looking for a new Anti-Virus, you may wish to see the results of AV-Comparatives.org testing. Apparently, NOD32 has been doing very well smile.gif

I agree. It's a shame that they don't market themselves better. If they could aggressively market the way Norton & McAfee do, they could become the most popular anti-virus software company on the planet!

My 2 cents. :thumbsup:

However, look at AV-Comparatives.org as well as Virus Bulletin and you'll see that Avira's Antivir is near the very top of the list. Again....another "small" company compared to Norton. Go figure.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

I think it important to note that AVG8 has, in addition to the Anti-virus functions found in 7.5, anti-spyware capabilities (which used to be separate) and a "link scanner" as well. This has increased, at least for me, the boot time substantially, although I do not notice any major slow-downs in normal operations.
Depending on your personal preferences and your design for a layered array of security applications, you may wish to turn off some of the new functions completely, or delete applications that you have now that duplicate the new functions.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

I would like to quote that, at last, I had choosed to go back to AVG 7.5, believing that that was the best situation for watining for a bigger RAM. Well, now the troubles are with the AVG itself for it takes an incredible long time to update; and also, is starts to update before the PC start has finnished. Besides, the PC runs slower than before I started with this antiviruses "affaire" (slow windows, white phantom windows, slow filling of windows explorer, etc., etc). I have done no change, except installing an external 80G hard disk. Then I am worst, not having done practically nothing except prospecting in the so complex antiviruses field in view of the almost hysteric claims that AVG 7.5 was going to be discontinued at the end of the year. Is it a "remaining residual files" trouble for the install-uninstalling? Could anyone help me for, at least, return to the previous state? Every member already knows that I maintain my PC, permanently clean and that I have my usual 256 RAM, XP pro, Pentium III/700, huge space inside hard disks. Many thanks and friendly greetings.

I have a relatively old PC consisting essentially in 256RAM; PentiumIII/700, XP Pro, more than enough hard disk space inside a partioned internal one and another 80Gb that's external. Until just some weeks ago things got very much acceptably. I was using AVG 7.5. After that I have been going and coming to and from NOD 32.2, 32.3 and AVG 8, depending on how variable are opinions there and here. Currently, after my shareware NOD32.3 was completely deleted (including logging name and password) by Malwarebyte's Anti Malware I went back to free AVG 8. Now I practically cannot work, for everything run at incredibly low speed, as for example when trying to attach something to a message from "my documents" folder, opening Outlook 2003, etc,: also when writing in Word and a message arrives, the system collapses for a few seconds. The same for starting or closing. I know that it "seems" to be a RAM memory trouble, but it works against this theory the fact that I was working very well with almost the same applications than currently, I would say, until I moved from AVG 7.5 to AVG 8. I tried to work with Avir, but update was a real adventure that I am not disposed to accept at normal. It's obvious that my hard disks are defragmented and that I have passed the various antiviruses several times. No one except me manages the PC. Should I try with a lighter antivirus? Is it there a one like that? Is it true that AVG 7.5 will stop updating soon? I am expecting a 1 G RAM memory gift that one of the BC computer member from abroad has promised to send to me and I think this will help a real lot, but I feel that there is something more arround or, better, inside the PC. Many thanks and friendly regards.

Edited by merellogalasso, 29 June 2008 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users