Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus And Malware Problem!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newbie4738

newbie4738

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Right now IM on PS3 and just joined this forum, because my computer is completely messed up. I keep getting pop ups, preety much everything on my computer is blocked from me....IM not authorized to do anything, my control panel is gone, local disk is gone, and I cant connect to internet...I used zone alarm but it hasnt detected any viruses, oh when I read all my file descriptions it says VIRUS ALERT on every one of them. There is this one pop up that says I couldve gotten it from a program called Active-X and I do remmember passing through website that gave me a pop up from it telling me to download. So anyone have any idea how to save my poor computer??

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum and edited out unnecessary vulgar reference. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Download the following two tools on a clean computer, save them to a CD or pen drive and then run them on the infected computer in Safe Mode.

Dr.Web CureIt!
http://freedrweb.com/cureit/

McAfee Avert Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/VIL/stinger/

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 newbie4738

newbie4738
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

ok thanks a lot ill do that just hope it works...I already put on Safe Mode so I dont get any more infections...well thanks again

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

You also need to download and save Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your USB stick, then follow these instructions for performing a scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 newbie4738

newbie4738
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Ok got it thanks Ill try both ways once I get chance...but for now I wont use the computer.

#6 newbie4738

newbie4738
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

Ok I tried all of them and now im able to open up a few things, but most things are still blocked by administrator and the only way for me to sign in as administrator is on safe mode. Im scanning now for the 3rd time and it always finds less and less intrusions by trojans and adware, so Im guessing its working some what, but my computer is still on virus alert. Is there anything else i can do??? please help....

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

If you're using Windows 2000/XP, please download XP_CodecRepair.inf and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on XP_CodecRepair.inf and select Install from the Context menu.
  • Note: To download the .inf file, go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save XP_CodecRepair.inf to your desktop.
  • Then log off or reboot to apply the changes.
Please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix".
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
-- Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus and any anti-malware real time protection before performing a scan.

When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply. Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

#8 newbie4738

newbie4738
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

Wait so would i do this on safe mode or just go back and save it on regular desktop??

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

Run XP_CodecRepair.inf in normal mode>

Download SDFix by AndyManchesta and save it to your desktop.
alternate zipped version
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with SDFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.
  • Disconnect from the Internet before running SDFix.
  • Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
  • (this is the drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix).
  • DO NOT use it just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Open the SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services or Registry Entries found then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts, the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • Copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to re-enable your anti-virus and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
Instructions with screenshots if needed.

-- If this error message is displayed when running SDFix: "The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator. Press any key to continue..."
Please go to Start Menu > Run > and copy/paste the following line:
%systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\swreg IMPORT %systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\Enable_Command_Prompt.reg
Press Ok and then run SDFix again.

-- If the Command Prompt window flashes on then off again on XP or Win 2000, please go to Start Menu > Run > and copy/paste the following line:
%systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\FixPath.exe /Q
Reboot and then run SDFix again.

-- If SDFix still does not run, check the %comspec% variable. Right-click My Computer > click Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables and check that the ComSpec variable points to cmd.exe.
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users