Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Install And Clean Boot Of Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sleuthound

sleuthound

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hello,

I'll try to make this easy to understand.

Im not sure if its a jumper setting issue or bios issue. I am getting the error message "error loading operating system" and also disk read error (cant be that cuz new hard drive being detected in bios)

I purchased a new western digital hard drive (320g) and attatched appropriate cables to hard drive. I initially left the default setting for the jumper (think is cable select) I also have a cdrw attached to same cable and have set that as "slave" I had this same setting in the past as far as i remember but this time around after upgrading the hard drive its not working. i also changed jumper to master w/ slave on hard drive since a cdrw is attached on same cable as slave. That also did not work.

I then disconnected cdrw altogether and used hard drive as master and this time around the windows setup continued whereas it gave me the black screen after rebooting saying "error loading operating system".

Any help? I did a search online but nothing really seems to match my issue here. Im sure its jumper but hoping someone with a bit more expertise can help me.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First thing I'd check: Is the new hard drive properly recognized in the BIOS? The right settings are reflected?

Second: Is the boot order correct?

I guess I cannot tell if you reinstalled XP or whether you have a possibly corrupted version which you are trying to use. I would delete that partition and try a complete one-step install of XP.

I've been using Cable Select for jumpers for years now...on everything except a USB 2.0 external drive enclosure that wanted the jumper set to Slave. As long as all devices on the cable use that C/S setting, it should be good.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2008 - 07:35 PM.

#3 sleuthound

sleuthound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

I just changed the jumper on primary ide - harddrive to cable select. - the cdrw also attached is still on slave. im going to try putting both on cable select.

when i put the jumper in the hard drive only to cable select with cdrw as slave, when rebooting the computer says "a disk read error occured". I have had both error messages since ive put the new hard drive and new install together.

I ve installed in the past with other computers no problem but not sure why i am with this one.

im going to pull my hair out. lol

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

Devices on one IDE cable...must reflect the same set of jumper settings for both devices....either C/S for both or Master/Slave for the two devices.

Louis

#5 sleuthound

sleuthound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

tried cable select jumper setting on both hard drive and cdrw . when rebooting...i get a boot failure message. i go to bios after that and cdrw is not detected...therefore cdrw cannot be on cable select and rather as slave. if thats the case what do i put the drive jumper too?

#6 sleuthound

sleuthound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

ive made the hard drive master/slave and master with the cdrw slave but getting the boot disk error message. this is driving me bonkers....please help.

#7 sleuthound

sleuthound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

thanks for responses to all those who offered their sincere help.

I brought my computer to the place where i bought the hard drive and the tech guy there was kind enough to look at it for me.

He went through the same steps to install the hard drive. It was the same process that i followed. He ran into the same problem i did where it said hard disk failure ...press control alt delete.

He said he would try something.

I guess he got lucky but he replace both ribbon cables on primary and secondary ide.

Presto....problem fixed. Man what a headache.

I have no idea why it worked cuz one of the cables was brand new and one was a little older but were both functioning properly when i exchanged hard drives with the new one. NO cut in the cable or anything so cant see why a problem.

Anyways...hope this helps those who might run into same problem in future.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

Well done :thumbsup:.

Cables (anything man-made) can be defective...I've had one before.

As for putting both the hard drive and the burner on the same cable...it works. I have a system currently set up that way and it boots up just fine and runs fine. Cable select on each device.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users