Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe Application Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britta

britta

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hi, I've been working on cleaning up this laptop for my mother for a few days now she is running windows xp home edition service pack 2. The machine was loaded with all sorts of viruses, etc.. just when I thought I'd gotten to the end of all the issues I rebooted to get the 'Userinit.exe application failed to instalize' error. I also receive errors reading 'rundll32.exe application failed to instalize' whenever I try to use the control panel functions such as user accounts or desktop themes.

I followed the steps posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...hl=userinit.exe with no success. I've also tried to find the .exe files on her hp windows installer cd, but they aren't there.

Also, when starting up the machine, after the Userinit.exe errors (there are 2 before it stops popping up) i get an empty desktop with no icons or task bar/start menu, if I ctrl+alt+delete and use the run function to manually run explorer.exe I get it all back.

Any further instruction or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Britta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

If the machine was "loaded" with viruses...why not just start over with a clean install (and good security practices)...rather than spend endless time trying to combat the unknown?

Louis

#3 britta

britta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

If the machine was "loaded" with viruses...why not just start over with a clean install (and good security practices)...rather than spend endless time trying to combat the unknown?

Louis

because i'm incredibly stubborn and would like to try everything (and possibly learn something new) before i give in :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users