Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Rom

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

hi i have looked in the older pages of this forum with my problem and cannot find anything so i hope that you can help, my dvd rom has dropped out, the cd writer is ok it plays movies, music and photos.i put a dvd movie in tonight and the disc is not recognised as being in the tray so i checked device manager which states the device status is ok and working, i disabled the dvd from the dropdown list and rebooted then went back and with the device manager simple wizard and reinstated the device but no go, is there any thing in services or start up that could be doing this finbar
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

The simplest way to find out if the fault is in the DVD drive itself, or in the Windows installation, is to try to boot from a bootable DVD eg Windows installation DVD or Linux Live DVD like many computer magazine cover disks. If the drive cannot recognise a DVD to boot from, the drive itself is the problem. A lens clean is the only thing you could then try, otherwise the DVD section of the laser is normally what has failed, and the drive would need to be replaced.

If booting from the DVD works, the drive is reading OK, we can then proceed with fault-finding the Windows installation. But there's no point spending time doing that if the drive itself has failed, the commonest cause of this symptom.

Edited by Platypus, 25 June 2008 - 05:44 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:20 AM

I agree with Platypus!

Also the make and model of your drive would be helpful along with operating system.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

hi platypus and firekracker,good advice good tips it's working again, is it possible for a particular dvd to stop the drive or windows operation? let me explain i did as platypus said i stuck in a dvd first aid and repair disc this disc not only cleans the lens it shows a full colour spectrum and sound test thro bass and treble, the dvd rom played all this brilliantly so then i stuck in a pc advisor magazine front cover disc, this was in pdf form but the player had no trouble with it,now i tried my movie disc this too played with no problems so i swopped discs with another downloaded movie this time the disc was not recognised again so i took it out put in the first disc again and it played brilliantlty again, so whats the problem, the duff disc will play in my philips 3380 dvd recorder though, any suggestions about the disc, the drive or the windows installation, cheers finbar

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

You said that "so i swapped discs with another downloaded movie", I assume that you burnt a video file/movie that you downloaded onto a disc am I correct in saying that? If so then probably the file has not been written to the disc correctly? Are you using the same kind of media? Does your problematic drive support that kind of media?

As I said, it would be helpful to know the make and model type.
Posted Image

#6 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

hi firekracker thanks for the reply, first the dvd is a toshiba dvd rom sd-r 2212, second the downloaded disc is one of three dvd disc's each with a movie on they were burnt by my son in law on his dell laptop, i have watched the first two but the third is the duff one we have been dicussing, the three disc's are all "tevion" a cheap mass produced disc from asda, the dvd rom is up and running so i wont be putting that thing in again so as you say it could be a download fault all this trouble for a duff dvd many thanks firekracker finbar

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:24 AM

I'm aware of the discs from Asda hehe! You're welcome for the help, so to summarise, have you sorted your problem? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

hello firekracker yes all seems to be ok the suspect disc is in the bin and every thing is back to normal, i have since heard that the tevion disc because it is a lot thicker has given a mate of mine trouble with closing the tray he has to very gently push the tray home until it clicks other wise the disc's wont play so no more asda thank you, cheers for all your help finbar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users