Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Internet Dropping

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rrrddd

rrrddd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hi, i recently upgraded my whole computer and for some reason my internet has been dropping when loading extreme games, such as Crysis and Gears of War.
This was my earlier system:
Biostar k8m800 AM2 Microatx
6200LE Geforce video card
2gb of ram 667mhz
and a AMD 3000+ Sempron 1.6ghz

My internet has been dropping on and off, kicking me off servers due to connection problems, this is my new system
Asus Crosshair AM2 ATX
8800GTS KO ACS ed. video card
2gb of ram 667mhz
and AMD athlon x2 5000+ (2.6ghz dualcore)

my new 650watt power supply has been giving off burning smells, im thinking that it isnt powerful enough to run my computer, is it possible that because my power supply isnt good enough, my internet has been fluctuating? i have installed all the drivers for the mobo's ethernet and my internet has never dropped on and off before. I think that my internet acts up when i turn these games on, because i even get kicked off online gaming chat, (Xfire). if im not running the games, then my internet is fine, I have all ports opened in my router settings, help?

Edited by rrrddd, 24 June 2008 - 02:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

It's possible that fluctating power supply to your network card could cause it to drop connections and malfunction, although new PSUs can smell a bit at first, but not like it's burning! (Ever played Scalectrix? You'll know the sort of smell)

If you have onboard graphics, you could use those for a bit and unplug your graphics card, see if that reduces the burning smell and the internet problems.

Double check the power requirements for your system and see if these add up to 650W or more. If they do, then you'll need a bigger PSU. If not, the PSU may be faulty/mislabelled.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 rrrddd

rrrddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

no i havent played scalectrix :thumbsup:
my motherboard doesnt have onboard graphics, so i cannot really test, i ran a few different PSU calculators, and the biggest result i ever got was a 528watt PSU, not sure, maybe my PSU was faulty, its a Powerking, kinda cheap :flowers:

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:14 AM

oh well.......

I presume that the internet doesn't drop out for any other computers connected to your router? Should have asked before.
If it isn't, the only thing I could suggest is that you try another PSU. Someone else might have other suggestions for you.

Pob lwc,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

There is a difference in the smell of warm electronics that you can smell with the off gassing of new components and the acrid smell of components overheating or failing. I would take the PSU back to the store and ask them to exchange it as it looks like it has had a problem right out of the box.

What make and model is the PSU?

Some PSUs will rate their output in "peak power" wattage which is very misleading in what the actual output is. Peak power is wattage that hits peaks for a very short periods of time, the actual wattage could be significantly smaller. Most good PSUs will not rate their products in peak power.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rrrddd

rrrddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

hmmm, the power supply blew itself today while i turned on a few programs :thumbsup: , im guessing it wasnt powerful enough.
It was a PowerKing 650watt SLi
and yes all my other computers on my router are working perfectly

what is a good PSU to get, around 650-800watt, that isnt too expensive?

#7 rrrddd

rrrddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

and the smell was not a normal one, it was probably due to overheating, that is the smell i get when my earlier power supplies blew, although this smell was when it was running

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

If I had "blown" a power supply...let alone several...I think I'd get a thorough check of my electrical power at home or wherever.

Unless you think that such events is normal.

IMO, a 650-watt PS should be more than good enough for most home systems.

Louis

#9 rrrddd

rrrddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

If I had "blown" a power supply...let alone several...I think I'd get a thorough check of my electrical power at home or wherever.

Unless you think that such events is normal.

IMO, a 650-watt PS should be more than good enough for most home systems.

Louis

My power supplies either burned out due to age and overload (miscalculations), of course it is not normal, and this computer is for gaming, not a weak computer that you can buy anywhere, and this topic was supposed to be a question of my internet problem.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

If you are having a PSU burn up and a small problem staying connected online, which do you think is going to garner the most attention. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 rrrddd

rrrddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

If you are having a PSU burn up and a small problem staying connected online, which do you think is going to garner the most attention. :flowers:

PSUs burn up due to many reasons, but fixing the internet is the challenging part, hence this is what the topic is asking :thumbsup:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

What kind of connection to you have for the internet?

What exactly do you mean by dropping you connection?

Is it just the site that you are dropped from, or you connection online entirely?

Are you getting any error messages?

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 26 June 2008 - 10:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users