Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A New Drive With Recovery Disks Only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Idiot that clicked

Idiot that clicked

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

I have a Hard Drive question. In a few years I will be getting a new computer mine is getting old but for what I use it for it works. My system has some serious Internet malware related issues. I have reformatted and recovered the system 3 times, and have done many different cleaners and still have the issue. Some how the little bugger is hiding and avoiding capture. Low to no download speed and slow navigating etc... I currently have a Hijack log awaiting a response. Well my question is if worst comes to worst… If I buy a new hard drive remove the old and run the recovery disks on the new drive will I be safe from the viral infection? I have Windows XP Media edition SP2 Recovery disks from my E-machine system. I have never removed and replaced a hard drive on a system, so I am not even sure if the recovery disks will work on it? :thumbsup:

Edited by Idiot that clicked, 24 June 2008 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

I have reformatted and recovered the system 3 times, and have done many different cleaners and still have the issue

Reformatting the system should eliminate any virusses you have.

Some how the little bugger is hiding and avoiding capture

Only way I can think of is that if it is actually hiding in another hard drive/partition.

Well my question is if worst comes to worst… If I buy a new hard drive remove the old and run the recovery disks on the new drive will I be safe from the viral infection?

No one (especially Windows users :thumbsup:) are ever safe from virus infections. But if you mean that could the hard drive be infected with the same virus you have from your previous hard drive, the the answer is no. Unless there is an active connection between both new drives, then it is impossible for the virus to get to the new drive.

I have never removed and replaced a hard drive on a system, so I am not even sure if the recovery disks will work on it?

As far as I am aware, the recovery disks should work.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 Idiot that clicked

Idiot that clicked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

Only have the one drive on the system D is a small FAT partition and C is the other. What boggles me is it has to be in there somewhere. I have only installed a couple things on the system since the initial restart. And remember going in right away and deleting unneeded material out of the add/remove option. Well NERO is in there, and while waiting for my hijack log to get looked at. (could be jumping to conclusions but..) I was cross checking things myself and in startup I see this entry. And your data base calls out a Trojan

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

Which in your Data base calls out a

Name: NeroFilterCheck
Filename: NeroCheck.exe
Command: C:\Windows\System32\NeroCheck.exe
Description: Added by the TSPY_AGENT.AAVG spyware Trojan.

File Location: %System%
Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.
HijackThis Category: O4 Entry

Note: %System% is a variable that refers to the Windows System folder. By default this is C:\Windows\System for Windows 95/98/ME, C:\Winnt\System32 for Windows NT/2000, or C:\Windows\System32 for Windows XP and Vista.
Removal Instructions: How to remove a Trojan, Virus, Worm, or other Malware

So obviously it and maybe more are well hidden I have not touched it and am waiting for official word on what to do. My D drive was reformatted after initial reformat it was renamed D recovery. So my gut feeling is it got in and windows just reinstalls at recovery.

Back many moons ago I wad issues with Windows 95 and back then if I remember right you needed to boot to DOS and enter something like reformat disc/ c: something along that lines to run a reformat. Then exit and restart with the disk in the drive to reinstall the programs. I really don’t think the recovery program is that exact.

Edited by Idiot that clicked, 26 June 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

Back many moons ago I wad issues with Windows 95 and back then if I remember right you needed to boot to DOS and enter something like reformat disc/ c: something along that lines to run a reformat. Then exit and restart with the disk in the drive to reinstall the programs. I really don’t think the recovery program is that exact.

That was back then. XP does not have true DOS. You install the OS with a bootable CD. You go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device and away you go
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Idiot that clicked

Idiot that clicked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

That was back then. XP does not have true DOS. You install the OS with a bootable CD. You go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device and away you go
[/quote]

I always let the system reboot after setting the CD in the player. Then hit f10 or something like that. So I am sure the harddrive booted 1st then the cd. Do you think if i change the order it will remove it all?

Or is there a way to delete Partition D then go in later and reformat and recovery

Edited by Idiot that clicked, 27 June 2008 - 07:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users