Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Motherboard Is Going.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

So we own 2 Dell Dimension XPS Machines and they're both about five years old, but we've kept them thus far because the processor speeds and the graphics card have been sufficient to play most of the games we want to play (Portal, Portal, and Portal.) The one I'm at right now has gone through the factory motherboard and about three more, at the steady rate of about one a month. Luckily, we still had a warranty on it. Unfortunately, the other machine is beginning to exhibit the same symptoms (monitor doesnt get signal on boot, no response from USB devices but the cd drives and HDD mysteriously spin up.) This is somehow caused by the capacitors blowing out. Does anyone else out there own a Dimension XPS that does the same thing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

Really in my opinion dell doesn't make anything good. Dell hasn't ever been good to me. Well mabey it will when I get hired as a computer technician.

I'd would say chuck it and get a new one but I don't know what your budget allows.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

There are some motherboards that have capacitors that 'swell' when they are going bad.

If they are both the same model XPS, you probably will have the same problem.

Good luck.

DR

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

This is somehow caused by the capacitors blowing out.

This is really an odd coincidence, but one of my friends had a similar problem with his computer's motherboard's capacitors going bad. I'm not 100% sure about which computer he has though.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

There was a case of industrial espionage years ago that resulted in flooding the market with electrolytic capacitors that were defective. These capacitors failed on a regular basis prompting the computer industry to start looking for bad caps after the first sign of trouble.

Electrolytic capacitors should have a flat top, caps that have failed or are failing can exhibit a rounded top or leaking fluid at their base.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, that sounds like what happened. The tech took the motherboard out about three or four times and every time all or most of the caps had the swollen tops that indicated broken/going broken caps. It looks like it was a false alarm this time though because the problem isn't coming back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users