Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three Questions About Norton 2008

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PuffTrinket

PuffTrinket

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

1. I've defragmented, scanned, and followed all Norton's steps given to resolve problems with Norton 2008. I have noticed that it still takes three to five minutes from the time I turn on my computer, to the time windows has loaded completely and Norton has run its intitial scan telling me everything is OK. Is this normal?

2. I noticed that under "Transaction protection: General settings" Norton said it had blocked a keylogger attempt yesterday, but all it said was Trojan.downloader. I did not conduct any online transactions. I could not figure out how to get more information about what had been blocked. Should I try to find out more, or ignore it?

3. I keep hearing that Norton is not good. I am sticking with it for 2008, though, at least I think so. I still keep feeling that there is something wrong with my computer, though I have not been able to find it. I have followed the steps you suggest to do prior to posting, and I have used both Spybot and Malwarebytes. Is there a particular supplemental freeware utility that is best to use with Norton to detect tricky viruses and keyloggers? I don't think I am expert enough to use hijack this.

Edited by PuffTrinket, 24 June 2008 - 07:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

I use Norton 2007 which I get through my ISP. Norton is notorious for taking forever to start up and slowing down computers so that's normal. Norton blocked an intruder last Friday but I'm not concerned about it as long as it does block it. But I do use a couple of stand alone spyware scanners. I haven't used Spybot for a while because it isn't as good as it used to be and Malware Bytes is shareware. I like Super Anti Spyware which has caught spyware in the past. I currently use AVG Anti Spyware but am looking for a replacement as they plan to discontinue it as a stand alone app at the end of this year. Also, you might want to try an online virus scanner. That might give you some reassurance.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

#3 PuffTrinket

PuffTrinket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks. I will try it. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users