Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Won't Boot: System Restore Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:53 AM

Hi,

first major problem with Vista...

I boot up the PC, get all the normal screens right up to the screen with the green loading bar, then after that, it goes black and that's it, PC is on running away and nothing.
I can boot into Safe Mode, but when i try SYSTEM RESTORE all 6 points says CAN'T BE FOUND.
I have no idea on what I can do, any suggestions would be grateful. I don't want to reinstall windows because i will have to purchase a new CD because i only have an Upgrade Vista and my XP was pre-installed (no media).

If i have to reinstall, I'm thinking XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Not sure if you can do this with an upgrade disk or not
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:16 AM

i have tried that, and it failed. so it looks as if i'm going to need to reinstall completely. don't know what happened it was working perfectly fine the day before.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

well, there is some light to my problem, Vista HP has been completely reinstalled, and was working until the stupid thing downloaded and installed 60 updates automatically and i'm back to the same problem. So it seems it is one of those updates causing my problem. I need to find out which one. And it will be much harder to track because all the updates will show the same darn date now and it will be one from June 25/26. Has nothing to do with SP1 because it was working fine with that.

Any ideas would be very helpful. I can boot into safe mode so that does mean its fixable.

#5 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

Ummm... that would be weird if an update played a part of the problem. Can you get the list of updates that installed?

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:46 AM

well the problem is lying between Vista and my GeForce 8500 GT that is certified for Vista.

Vista keeps automatically installing drivers which won't work i think. i can get into safe mode in remove what vista installed and i can boot in to vista normally but vista then reinstalls that stupid driver . The CD installed the driver for version 8 but doesn't seem to be working.

I'm at a complete loss with this. Any ideas? All i can think of is removing the video card and throw it.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

Well...

I pulled out the graphics card and chucked it in its box threw it in the cupboard.

Vista booted up just as it should without any troubles. Maybe the 6 month old card is ca-put or something i don't know much about them. I loose my 4.5 score down to 3.6 now.

#8 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

I had a feeling it was the graphics card.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:07 AM

i got a new graphic card arriving this week, Vista is going out door and XP Professional is going on. So we will see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users