Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password protection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hello Everyone

Having booted the computer, I am trying to gain access to folders on my second hard drive that is faulty but I am denied access because of the password. is there any way around this. Thanks to anyone who can help

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

If you sign on as administrator or with an account that had administrator rights you should be able to access everything on the computer.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

Hi Enthusiast

I am the administrator but I need to access folders on a drive that will no longer boot. That drive I installed as a slave and hoped to get into the folders using another OS on the new Master drive. trouble is, those folders are password protected and will not open for me. By what your saying, do you mean that if I use the same password on the Master drive, I will be able to access the folders in the other slave drive. I'll give that a try anyway, nothing to loose by trying. Thanks

Tony

#4 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

Hi again

I tried using the same password on the Master drive but no joy. Can I just add that it's only the 'My Documents' folder I can't open.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:26 PM

What happens if you put the slave disc in as the master? Will windows boot? Does that drive have an operating system on it?

What version of windows is it? You may be able to put it in as the master drive and access the data using a boot disc so you can transfer the data to your new drive.

Have you tried using windows explorer to transfer folders on that drive to your new hd?

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hi again Enthusiast

Some good questions there.

OK, Yes there is an OS on that drive and It's Windows XP Home Edition
When attempting to boot to it as a Master drive, you get an error message saying NTLDR is missing. I've tried various methods to repair this such as going to repair consule as advised. But this only works with full versions, not with Restore disk installations.

No I haven't tried opening the folder using Windows Explorer but I will try that right now. Thanks very much.

Tony

OK, tried that, same thing with Windows Explorer

Edited by 1up2down, 08 April 2005 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users