Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would More Ram Help?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 oney

oney

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

So I've been having problems with my computer getting slower as time goes on, and I spoke with Katana to see if it was malware. He gave me a clean bill of health which can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/139398/itunes-malware-problem/

I'm wondering now if upgrading my RAM will speed my computer up without me having to uninstall a bunch of programs or delete a bunch of files. Katana also said to post the following information with this thread:

Dell Dimension 5100 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 | 400GB HDD (Combined C:150GB [144GB Formatted] H:250GB [232GB Formatted]) | Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz CPU 1GB RAM | RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory Graphics (+Secondary) | Hauppauge WinTV PVR TV-Tuner | Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit Audio

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (build 2600) SP 2.0
Architecture: X86; Language: English

CPU 0: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPU 1: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Percentage of Memory in Use: 46%
Physical Memory (total/avail): 1022.07 MiB / 550.09 MiB
Pagefile Memory (total/avail): 2459.45 MiB / 1916.61 MiB
Virtual Memory (total/avail): 2047.88 MiB / 1919.76 MiB

A: is Removable (No Media)
C: is Fixed (NTFS) - 144.31 GiB total, 14.42 GiB free.
D: is CDROM (No Media)
E: is CDROM (No Media)
F: is Removable (No Media)
G: is CDROM (No Media)
H: is Fixed (NTFS) - 232.88 GiB total, 34.6 GiB free.

Just today, I installed Ubuntu to H via Wubi, and that runs AMAZINGLY, but I still need to be able to use Windows and all of the programs I have on C more often than Linux, so upgrading my RAM or whatever else is needed to speed it up is still necessary.

Thanks in advance. :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

The C partition with the OS on it is 150 gig and you only have 6 gig left? That will cause problems. In Task Manager, how many processes are running? How many in your startup folder?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hello.

C: is your operating drive, correct? If you indeed have 130gb worth of program files, then, yes you will definately need to uninstall some.

If you could just move 30gb of data files to your storage drive H:, you will improve performance. Since that drive seems to be only used for storage, you may want to compress the files on that drive to create more space.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 oney

oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

I don't only have 130GB worth of program files. C: is used for data files and such. H: is used strictly for DVR (MCE) and Movies and nothing else. I try to leave a lot of space open on H: in case I'm out of town it has the space to record all of my shows, (I watch a lot of TV while I'm working since I work from home so I have a lot of shows). I guess I should take a weekend aside to really go through and clean up a lot of old files. That alone I've done in the past, though, and it didn't help completely. Anything else that will help on top of that?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

One of the main causes of a slow computer is too many processes running at the same time. As garmanma asked, how many Processes are shown as running in the Task Manager and do you need them?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

IMO your main problem is overcrowding of your hard drives (C: is too full, and H: is borderline). Windows uses the free space to perform operations that you normally won't see, so an excessively full hard drive will slow down your system. If it gets too full, you won't even be able to delete files off of it (and would have to resort to a format to regain use of the disk). There's a recommendation of 15% free space for most users - but this can increase if you've got a lot of large files that you're working with. I would suggest investing in a large external hard drive to store most of your stuff on.

Once you've removed enough stuff, then a defragmentation of the drive will be necessary. And, with a full drive, it'll take a lot longer - so the more you remove, the quicker it'll go.

Once all that it done, then the issue of more RAM can be properly addressed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 oney

oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

From the other thread:

I was hoping more RAM would help deal with all the cluttered services that are running, (if I go into task manager, the list is quite lengthy). Here is a screenshot of my task manager. :-O

Posted Image

Whatever the fastest and *least likely to lose any data* would be the best way for me to take. Thanks again and again and again. :-P

The issue of overcrowding my hard drive can't be the only problem. I have indeed removed a lot of files in the past and the computer was still slow. I will, however, try to do that next. Any suggestions on a site to get the best priced external hard drives?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

As I stated, the problem with the overcrowding of the hard drive is only the start. But without it, you can add stuff until the cows come home and you'll still suffer from OS issues.

It's likely that you'll want to add more RAM, but that decision should wait until you've finished the hard drive work. Then there's work on the running startups and services, then on optimizing the system, then adding more RAM.

Take it one step at a time - rushing into a quick fix is a sure way to waste your money.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 andrewp730

andrewp730

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

you should definitely uninstall some programs because you only have 14 gigs free on you c: drive which is not great. Ram will always help performance especially for multi taskers.

#10 oney

oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

@ usasma I've recently gotten help on start-up services from someone on IRC.

@ andrewp730 If you read above, it's not programs that are taking up the majority of space. Less than 30GB are program files. I have a lot of music, movies, pictures, and website files saved. This is why I'm asking about an external HDD.

So back to that question.

Any suggestions on a site to get the best priced external hard drives?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

newegg.com
Buy the parts and build your own, any size you want
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 oney

oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

I was referred by A LOT of people in IRC to buy this
http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digital-50.../206409667.html

I already bought it so it's too late now, but what do y'all think?

#13 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

I have one of those. The previous version, but it's the same architecture. I personally think it is an excellent drive, if you don't mind the spin up time when it's been inactive. It automatically turns on and off when it's needed. There is a slight delay when calling a file if it's spun down, but other than that, it's a great drive for me so far!
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 oney

oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

You probably had the "Home Edition." I think the "Essential Edition" stays on and active unless you turn your computer off. The "Home Edition" automatically shuts off after 10 minutes or something.

I read that all on here: http://wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=8

#15 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

You probably had the "Home Edition." I think the "Essential Edition" stays on and active unless you turn your computer off. The "Home Edition" automatically shuts off after 10 minutes or something.

I read that all on here: http://wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=8

No I have the Essential Edition. In fact, I have the box right here. They may have changed the specs, like I said, mine looks a little bit different.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users