Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hello everyone. I had a weird problem occur on my computer. I was playing one of my online games, and all of a sudden, my computer freezes and I manually shut down my computer by flipping the power switch on my power surge. I rebooted my computer and I tried to connect to the internet. It wasn't allowing me. So, I then tried troubleshooting and I had discovered that the "Local Area Network" icon was missing under my network connections. Also, when I had looked under my network adapters, it wasn't detecting my network card.

Now, I'm on the hunt for a network adapter that I can install to a PCI x1 slot, so, do you guys have any suggestions that can give me the same speed my old network card and a good price as well?

Thanks in advanced,

~Ragtimesolo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

bump

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:28 AM

Here is a link to New Egg, where they have about 13 Network Adaptor cards (PCI):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Before you do that, can you see what Device Manager says?

Right Click - My Computer and then Left Click - Properties.

Select the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button.

What does it say under Network Adaptors?

There is a possibility it died on you and to install a new Network Card is not very expensive.

Good Luck.

DR

#4 JeremyTM

JeremyTM

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

I recommend going with a gigabit adapter. You may want faster transfer speeds some time down the road and they are not expensive. Most cards come standard as gigabit now anyway but keep your eyes peeled.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

I manually shut down my computer by flipping the power switch on my power surge.

Not the best thing in the world to do. Can you end the application by using going to Task Manager or Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users