Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Hard Drive, Migrate Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 equinecpa

equinecpa

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

I recently suffered a major virus attack (See this thread)

Thanks to help here, I believe I beat the trojan but still think I may have incurred damage. I'd like to install another hard drive and use it as my primary, and use the existing hard drive as my secondary drive.

Is there a simple way to migrate some but not all of the programs? I'd happily purchase something if I knew it would do the job. I have a ton of programs installed (many with updates that would need to be re-downloaded).

Thanks

Carolyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Negative, IMO...best you could do would be to make a disk image of the entire C: partition...which would leave you with all installed programs.

Louis

#3 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

If I did make a disk image would it also copy registry entries and such...the last thing I want to do is copy over the messed up files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

A disk image is an exact copy of whatever state the system is in...at the time the image is made.

The value of an image lies in it being made when the system is in good shape, free of malware, and current with O/S updates.

Louis

#5 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

That's what I figured...I guess I'll have to resort to a lot of downloads...ah well...

But thanks for the assistance.

Carolyn

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

When you download a program you will usually wind up with two parts on your desktop, the icon for the program installed, and the installation software. I alway save the installation software to my documents so that I can access them in situations like this.

Right click on start, click on Explore, this will open with access to all of your drives and normally accessible file locations. If you click on the location of the file that you wish to transfer they will appear on the screen to the right. You can click and hold the button down on the mouse on the file that you want to transfer, and drag it to the left side to the location that you wish to move it to. When you drag the file over to the left side the target locations will high light in blue as the become available, when the location that you want is high lighted remove your finger from the mouse button and the file will transfer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users