Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 J-son

J-son

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Im running windows vista ultimate x64 and for the past few months the windows updater hasn't been working.

I had a virus/malware problem for the last few weeks and I think I cleared that up, the guy in the HJT forum told me my log was clean.

The problem is that I currently have 14 important updates - and ive always had 14 updates for the past few months. Whenever I try to update them most of them fail (sometimes all). After this, I restart and it takes a while to configure the updates before loading desktop. Then, the next time I restart the same 14 updates are back in windows update. There are also 2 ultimate extras that always fail whenever I try to update...

Anybody have any idea what the problem is??? Maybe they are blocked from updating or something? I have 2 roomates who might have messed with some of the settings.

I should also mention that I don't think im receiving new updates either. Its been the same 14 updates for a few months, I still dont have SP1 etc.

I just now tried updating again, and I took screenshots:

The 14 Updates + Ultimate updates:
Posted Image

The updates failed:
Posted Image

My update history, the failed ones go all the way back to April, and the ultimate extras have failed ever since february:
Posted Image

As you can see all the same updates keep failing. And im pretty sure I haven't been getting any new updates for a long time either.

Edited by J-son, 23 June 2008 - 05:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Cmon guys, somebody please help.

Just give me ideas, any suggestion that might come to mind that could possibly be the problem fell free to post. I am absolutely clueless and I know somebody on this forum knows something helpful.

#3 harvam007

harvam007

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

Try doing one at a time. Also click check for new updates.

#4 ShoringFan

ShoringFan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:21 AM

Error code 80070490 in Windows Update:
Permission denied / [Problem initializing or using session variables] or Element not found NULL

Maybe this link will help you:
From Microsoft Community

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:55 AM

For Error Code 80246007, a Google search revealed this:
http://nicolask.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/w...ode-0x80246007/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 drmsucks

drmsucks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

Look here: http://www.buit.org/2006/10/18/if-windows-...error-80245003/

Also, be sure that the BITS service and the Automatic Updates service are set to 'automatic.'

Good luck.

#7 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Dang im trying to follow directions but my windows help files are all in spanish. Not that thats a problem, its just that Its hard to translate everything correctly from the directions.

Does anybody know what Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is in spanish?

EDIT: I think its this one: Servicio de transferencia inteligente en segundo plano - but im not sure, I dont want to mess with the wrong service :S

EDIT2: yea that was the one but it doesn't matter anyways all settings where as they should be.

Im still trying out a few other suggestions give me a moment.

Edited by J-son, 29 June 2008 - 03:35 PM.

#8 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

For Error Code 80246007, a Google search revealed this:
http://nicolask.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/w...ode-0x80246007/

Look here: http://www.buit.org/2006/10/18/if-windows-...error-80245003/

Also, be sure that the BITS service and the Automatic Updates service are set to 'automatic.'

Good luck.

Thanks guys I tried both of them. Essentially they are the same thing, just disable windows update, delete the softwaredistribution folder, and restart windows update anew.

Unfortunately it didn't work, Im still having the same exact problem.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

I'd have to suggest that you locate your Windows Update log file and use that to help figure out what the issue is. Here's a link on how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093 Don't hesitate to post portions of the logfile for us to have a look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 drmsucks

drmsucks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

Not to discourage you but my wife's laptop stopped receiving updates and I spent a week or so with MS support via email. Finally said, "F&^% it," and re-installed. No problems since.

I never found out what caused it but I'm 'sure' it was a faulty update from MS.

Good luck.

BTW - Why are your help files in Spanish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users