Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 k_chug

k_chug

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi.

I recently had to reformat my PC because of some mistake.
I just realized that I am missing my RECOVERY partition.

I have just reinstalled my drivers and Media Direct.

But is there anyway I can get that partition back.

I am on an Dell Inspiron 1525 and Windows Vista Home Premium 34bit.

Thanks

EDIT: Oh forgot one thing, I bought my laptop at Best Buy and upon reinstalling Dell Support Center it no longer has anything about Geek Squad or such.
Not really necessary but I would like my laptop's default stuff back.
Also in the Welcome Center there are nothing from Dell when there once was.

Edited by k_chug, 23 June 2008 - 05:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

1) What let's you know that you don't have a recovery partition? Have you checked in diskmgmt.msc for it?
2) Dell's usually come with some DVD's to restore the OS. Do you have those? If so, what are they labeled?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 k_chug

k_chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

1)In Computer, there used to be two disks labeled, RECOVERY and OS.
2)They are Driver CDs, MediaDirect CDs, Windows Vista 32 bit reinstall, Roxio cd, and a Webcam Manager CD.

Oh and going through my last post, I don't have Vista 34bit, I have 32 bit.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:37 AM

Have a look at this article: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

It seems that you've gotta install the OS and then, in some way, invoke the recovery wizard to reconstruct your recovery partition.

This link seems to indicate a bit about how the recovery partition works: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

The only suggestion that I've found on the web to restore the partition involved sending the computer to Dell. I'd suggest a program like Acronis True Image ($50 US) - it'll make a secure recovery partition on your hard drive once you've installed Windows and all of it's drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 k_chug

k_chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

How does Acronis work?

It creates the partition but then how does it restore it?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

With Acronis, you'll make a Secure Recovery partition. You'll also make a boot CD that will be able to access the partition to restore your system. If you need to restore, you boot from the CD and restore the image that's stored on the Secure partition.

Alternatively, you can store the image elsewhere (such as on a removable hard disk) and use that to restore the partition. Just FYI - I had difficulty with this on my old Toshiba laptop and had to use the Secure Recovery partition because of it.

#7 k_chug

k_chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

Is it okay if I just use my Install CD?
And install the drivers from Dell's CD?

Or is there a difference between the partition Dell preinstalled and the Install CD?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

No difference, it's just easier with a recovery partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users