Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How stupid can some be?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:36 PM

WARNING!

Please stop eating or drinking! You may end up with something through your nose!

http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_web.shtml

These people are really stupid!

My favorite

Our school requires all students to take a computer class. My class has to have some of the stupidest people I've ever met.

* Teacher: "Does anyone know what HTML means?"
    * Student: "That means something?!"
    * Me: "Hypertext Markup Language."
    * Teacher: "Correct, have any of you ever used HTML?"

I'm the only one who raises a hand.

* Teacher: "Great! We'll be doing some simple HTML by the end of the year."
    * Me: (bangs head on desk)
    * Student: "How do you use HTML? Is it like typing?"

A friend of mine just bought a new computer and asked me to show him how to download programs off the web. The poor guy is completely clueless with anything computer related. I showed him a couple of the more popular sites and started a download. While waiting, I made the comment about how slow telephone access can be. He sat there staring at the paper sheet icon move between the world and folder icons for a few moments, and then said: "Well if you move the folder closer to the Earth, then the program won't have so far to travel, and it'll download faster." I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

One evening around midnight, I decided to book a flight for the weekend using NorthWest Airlines Cybersaver deals. On their site, they provide a link to National Car Rental. The URL was http://www.nationalcar.com/cgi-bin/cyber1_res.pl. Upon completing the form for a car reservation, I received a message saying, "Your request has been sent." I never received a confirmation. After trying three more times, I called tech support.

* Me: "I tried reserving a car on your web site, but I do not get a response."
    * Tech Support: "Let me get your reservation number, and I can look it up."
    * Me: "I didn't get one."
    * Tech Support: "Well, let's go to the web site and check it out. Go to www.nationalcar.com."
    * Me: "Actually, I'm on a promotional part of your web site for NorthWest Airlines."
    * Tech Support: "That's not our web site. Our web site is at www.nationalcar.com."
    * Me: "That's where I am at."
    * Tech Support: "No, it is not."
    * Me: "Yes, I am at www.nationalcar.com/cgi-bi--"
    * Tech Support: "Sir, anything after the slash is not our web site. You are on someone else's web site."
    * Me: "Uh...no, that is your URL. The link points to your servers. The system is on your server."
    * Tech Support: "No sir, it is not. You are on someone else's server."

I hung up. Upon arriving at the airport, I found I had three cars in my name. Apparently the system simply sends an email to the regional office, then they manually reserve a car. Some system, eh?

I worked one summer at a Radio Shack that also owned its own ISP. My job dealt with the ISP billing, but since my bosses and coworkers knew I was proficient with computers, I would also be referred to tech support calls. One gentleman called in because he was clicking and nothing was happening. He was trying to set up Microsoft Outlook to check his email account that he received as an ISP customer, and he was, with good intent, following the instructions we provided on our web site. I asked him what his screen looked like, and it seemed he was in the right place, but I still walked him through the steps again, all the time hearing him say, "I've done that. I'm clicking, and nothing's happening." As a last resort, I decided to ask the customer if he had actually run the program. He responded by saying, "Well, I just thought this thing ran it for me." I realized, to my great amusement, that he had been looking at our instructional web page the whole time and mistaking our screenshot of an Outlook screen for the actual program. I explained what was wrong, and all he had to say was, "You need to rewrite these instructions. They're very misleading."

At work, an email was sent to me once requesting that I fill out an evaluation form on the web. However, if I were unable to access the site -- well, take a look:

For those evaluators who are unable to access [the site] while completing evaluations, a CD ROM or disk-based version of the application may be requested through an order form on [the site].

We have a minor help site for the easiest to answer questions, and we're always telling customers to go look at that first before phoning us. Anyway, my colleague was on the phone, and I overheard this conversation:

* Tech Support: "Yeah, just go to our website it's at www.[our company].com...yeah, three w's, then a dot, then [our company], then a dot then 'com'...yeah, that's right. . . . What do you mean, how do you spell 'dot'?"

Edited by groovicus, 08 April 2005 - 08:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

i love those at rinkworks...spent many hours reading them all.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 nanakat

nanakat

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:39 PM

LOL Those are TOO funny! Thanks for the laugh
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Posted Image

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:42 AM

I know a lot of people at my school that would be more than qualified to be part of that website. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#5 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

That was funny: A lot of people at my school are like that

#6 Sliver

Sliver

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

Those were great.

My friend does a lot of PC work, and we have one story that we continually laugh at. He had a fellow bring him a PC to try and fix , that another paid tech had already looked at. My friend asked what the other tech had said.

His response ... "He said my Window was broke" ... quess you should'nt live in a glass house.

#7 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:42 AM

hehe some funny things there esp 'how do you spell dot'

#8 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

LOL i love to the with the "URL" LMAO

HAHAHAHAHA

Nice 1 !!!! :thumbsup:

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

UPDATE!

Ok I found another link its more about O/S than the other one... :inlove:

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_os.shtml

I saw two older looking ladies trying to figure out the computers at a local store. I knew one of them would say something that I could send to Computer Stupidities, so I tried to listen in.

* Woman 1: "What is that little trash can on the screen?"
    * Woman 2: "My son says that is call the 'recycle bin'. He tells me when I don't want a Word document anymore and I delete it, it really goes in there."
    * Woman 1: "Why in the recycle thingy? Can't you just erase it?"
    * Woman 2: "Oh no, Word wouldn't work for very long if I did that, I would run out of blank pages."
    * Woman 1: "Why?"
    * Woman 2: "Because it cleans the words off the pages, then sends the blank sheets back to Word so they can be used again. That's why it's called the recycle bin."

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by yanowhiz, 28 April 2005 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users