Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

I just sat down in front of my computer and noticed the Windows Update shield in the sys tray. I clicked on it to start installing; yes I usually blindly trust it... go figure, and it said, "Installing SP3." But since I've heard of so many glitches with SP#3, I said no no no! and stopped it. I then set a restore point and ran a manual ERUNT.
I have an emachines T6410 with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+.
Is there any reason I shouldn't go ahead and give it a try? If it goes blooey, will Add/Remove SP3 and backing up to the restore point save me?
Thanks
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hello.

Though there have been problems with SP3, I wouldn't see it as a reason not to install it. Then again, I don't see SP3 as an essential update.

This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.

If you keep a good habit of backing up everything before the installation, you should be well prepared with a restore if there is a problem.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

When i installed SP3, i kept getting trojans from it. and it also infected my run32dll.exe file and i wont be installing SP3 again on any computer till i know its 100% fixed.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

I put it on my 3 machines last weekend with no problems. As samuel3 found out, it's best to do a malware and virus scan first. When I'm in the process of downloading I also shut down my firewall and anti-virus plus any other non-essential programs running in the backround. They'll all start back up when you reboot at the end of the installation
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

When i installed SP3, i kept getting trojans from it. and it also infected my run32dll.exe file and i wont be installing SP3 again on any computer till i know its 100% fixed.

run32dll.exe is not a valid system file, is it? I believe it's a key logger and screen capture spyware.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Unless I get some strong advice against it on BC tonight, I think I'll go ahead and try SP3 with backups in place ready to come to the rescue.

#6 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

After some procrastination, I finally managed to install SP3 last night. It was easy. I bravely went to the Windows Update site, downloaded and installed. No file/Registry backups or restore points... It went smoothly without any problems. Even the Firewall and Anti-virus were active. I know doing this is not recommended and I'm not writing this as a recommendation, but what I needed to point out is that it is really that easy. Nothing to worry about. At least you can remove it from 'Add/Remove Programs' if there is some problems or restore the registry backup.

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

Okay, I bit the bullet and installed it. Everything seems good. I took your advice, garmanma and disabled all non-essentials. Thanks.
I've been experiencing a couple of glitches lately, so I'll start a thread on that soon.

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:48 AM

I would never turn off my antivirus or firewall to get a download, not even at Windows Update. I've never had any problems getting updates correctly. I've been putting off getting it anyway because of all the problems I've been reading about. But if it won't install without turning off my protection, then they can keep it.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

I would never turn off my antivirus or firewall to get a download, not even at Windows Update. I've never had any problems getting updates correctly. I've been putting off getting it anyway because of all the problems I've been reading about. But if it won't install without turning off my protection, then they can keep it.

That's why you would normally download to the Desktop. When you're at Windows Updates you're on a secure site
Microsoft recommends turning off the AV
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 drmsucks

drmsucks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Microsoft recommends turning off the AV
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

I believe the article says to turn off malware protection before INSTALLING - not before downloading.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

Well...I've never turned off my AV for any download ever...and I've never recognized a problem with any update or install.

I know that MS and others recommend such...but, until I have a problem with a download or install, the AV program and firewall remain active, along with other programs installed for system defense/protection.

Louis

#12 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Well...I've never turned off my AV for any download ever...and I've never recognized a problem with any update or install.

I know that MS and others recommend such...but, until I have a problem with a download or install, the AV program and firewall remain active, along with other programs installed for system defense/protection.

Louis

This is the first time I've ever done it, and gladly, I don't seem to have suffered any ill effects. I doubt if I'll ever disable AV & FW again... unless I'm advised to do so before installing SP4. [attachment=6076:icon4.gif]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users