Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nfithteen

Nfithteen

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

My computer is consistantly shutting down at random times from anything between minutes from start up to 45mins into web surfing. I have been back and forth to my local computer repair shop and still i face the problem.

I have:

!) Replaced the RAM

2) Purchased a anti static extension unit, the shop suggested that the issue was due to the electricity in my room yet the problem exists.

I have done some research and found out that the PSU could be the cause of the shutdowns, am i correct in saying that?

Edited by Nfithteen, 23 June 2008 - 01:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

How much RAM installed in system?

Are all fans working properly (spinning)?

Check your CPU temperature when these shutdowns occur?

How big is C: partition?

Last time dust removed from innards?

Laptop or desktop?

Any number of things can cause shutdowns...but my guess would be overheating of the system (inadequate cooling/ventilation).

Louis

#3 Nfithteen

Nfithteen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

RAM - 2GB

All fans working properly (Antec fusion case comes with two side fans and a 450PSU)

How do i check my CPU temp?

My C: partition is 40GB ATA Hard drive i had, but i have all other applications and data saved on a 2nd SATA Hard drive, 300GB

Regular cleaning, new system no dust influencing over heating

Desktop...

The cooling is at a good level, i have all fans functioning and running smoothly, also have a Scythe Ninja mini heat sync and fan

Could the problem be the the old hard drive in use?

If not what could be the problem?...if there is any more information required please tell me and ill provide the information

cheers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

No error messages for these shutdowns?

Any evidence of driver problems in Device Manager?

Possibly related errors reflected in Event Viewer?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You may want to Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

You can normally check the CPU temp in the BIOS settings.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2008 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users