Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing In A Second Sata Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FrankGifford

FrankGifford

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hello, all.
~I installed a 2nd SATA hard drive to my Emachine T5020, running Windows XP Media Edition, to use for storage. When I turned on the computer upon completing installation, everything got power, and was connected properly, but the monitor was not getting a signal from the tower. The display just kept giving me a message to check my connections (properly connected) and that the "Self Test" showed the monitor as working properly. When I unplugged my new hard drive, everything came up as normal. Is there some kind of known conflict that I am expiriencing?

~FrankGifford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JeremyTM

JeremyTM

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Sometimes your video adapter doesn't detect the monitor properly when you first boot.

Make sure that the monitor has been turned on at least a few seconds before you boot the computer - if you boot the computer and power on the monitor at the same time, or power on the monitor after starting to boot, many video adapters won't detect the monitor properly.

Also check to see if the hard drive you installed is set to "slave" on the jumper options on the hard drive.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

You don't have to worry about jumper settings with SATA drives. I can't see how a hard drive would effect a monitor at all. Are you sure the video card is seated properly and you're not bumping it loose when you're poking around the case?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 FrankGifford

FrankGifford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Actually, this same thing happened a month ago, when I installed a 1GB DDR Ram chip. I put it in one of 2 empty slots, and monitor didn't work. Switched to the other slot, and it came up just fine. Everyone said I didn't have to assign slave status via jumper to the new drive b/c it is SATA, but after reading JeremyTM's suggestion, and b/c i was at that point frustrated beyond belief, I tried it. Lo, and behold, once I used a jumper, it came up with no problem. I am currently formatting the second drive. Thanks for the help!!!

Edited by FrankGifford, 23 June 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

The only jumper on a SATA hdd is for the purpose of forcing the transfer speed from 300MB/s to 150MB/s so that older SATA controllers can be used.

Each SATA hdd is a point to point connection to the host adapter, this basically mean the each SATA hdd is effectively a Master.

Edited by dc3, 24 June 2008 - 08:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 FrankGifford

FrankGifford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

Well, whatever the prob. was, it is fixed now. I've never had a problem with monitor conflict until this Emachine i have...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users