Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 colcurly21

colcurly21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

can anyone help this idiot :thumbsup:

having had a virus, get into our computer, i tried to fix using the system recovery disc, made when first bought the computer, all i managed to do ,was wipe EVERTHING off, lost pictures, college and university work, everything.

even though the computer is abck up and running, i have being told it is possible to retrieve those files ,we want, eeven though the hard drive has being wiped ???? is this true, and where can i get a program from, to do this?
or do i have to take it to someone to do this.

my life depends on this. as daughters are about to kill me :flowers:

so please help...........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

Here is a guide...Note that you will need to look at step 7 for pointers as you have reformatted your drive. There are software versions listed that are free and others that you will have to pay for. They may or may not retrieve all of the information realistically. There are also professional services that recover data but they can be on the expensive side.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/111937/ways-to-recover-your-data/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 drmsucks

drmsucks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

To maximize recovery chances, use the drive as little as possible - and, if possible, install the recovery program onto a different drive. Every additional "write" to the drive reduces the chance of recoverable data.

Best of luck.

EDIT - I know that your life REALLY doesn't depend on it :thumbsup: , but, if the data is REALLY important to you, I would suggest that you immediately quit using the drive, abandon the self-help effort and contact recovery professionals.

Edited by drmsucks, 23 June 2008 - 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users