Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar And Icons Missing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hoopoe

Hoopoe

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

Hi
I know there are a few topics on this already which I have read but I guess all computers are different.

I am running Windows XP with three User Accounts.

Yesterday on my account when I logged in I had only Desktop Wallpaper, no taskbar and no icons. I used System Restore and it came back.

This morning my son has logged on (tried all three User Accounts) and they had only Desktop Wallpaper, no taskbar and no icons. However after a couple of reboots it was working again.

There were two things that happened yesterday which may have caused this:

1. There was a Windows Update early on (strangely one of our work computers, this morning which had been updated over the weekend booted up with no taskbar, a couple of reboots sorted this).

2. The computer was running slowly anyway due to the hard disk being almost full and getting the Virtual Memory prompt regularly. I tried to fix this using the recommended method on this site by assigning the VM to a large external drive. However I have now put it back to the internal hard drive as it was with System Managed settings.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:40 AM

Apologies, I was not looking what I was doing and should have put this in the Win XP forum. Mods please move.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

If you have a hard drive that has insufficient room for Windows to run properly...it's hard to predict just what will go wrong, IMO.

The first step in seeking any solutions...has to revolve around moving items from the boot partition/Windows drive...to another partition/drive.

IMO, the only things that have to be on the C: partition are XP and programs, everything else can be moved somewhere else. I keep the pagefile on the C: partition, but that's a personal preference.

Louis

#4 Spunts144

Spunts144

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Well there always doubling the virtual memory. You could do it manually. The computer will always do it just to give the CPU a little more stretching space. But manual settings helps if you know what your doin. ^.^ BTW Im new... Hopefully thid helps...

#5 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

Thanks guys have moved a shedload of stuff onto the external hard drive and it seems to be hanging together. The Windows updates warning keeps saying it's turned off even though it isn't. Maybe I need to post a HJ Log?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

HJT logs (and other alternatives) are for dealing with malware.

Malware is not responsible for every little hiccup that occurs in a system...but it is responsible for many problems that systems develop.

If you think you have a malware problem, I would suggest that you post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Have you tried actually turning off the autoupdate function...and then turning it back on?

Louis

#7 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hi Louis
yes I have tried turning it off and on but still get the update warning all the time.

On a more problematic note, despite clearing off a lot of files, it is usually booting up to just wallpaper and we're having to use the New Task explorer.exe in Task Manager to get going. Very annoying.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

I would try running chkdsk then the System File Checker (SFC).

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Bud, will run checkdisk later. Ran Spybot last night and it kicked out Virtumonde and Virtumonde.dll and it has been loading explorer properly since.

#10 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:11 AM

Thanks all. chkdsk seems to have brought everything back under control, so I haven't run SFC. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users