Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Network Over Gaming

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hello BC!
I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma. I have a game called 1602 AD, and I would like to play with my mother (who is in my LAN), and my cousin (who is outside my LAN a good few miles away). The game allows for connection by having one person host and the others connecting. The ones connecting must type in the IP address of the host to connect.
Both my LAN and my cousin's LAN are behind routers, and the computers behind each of those routers have a generic internal IP (for instance, 192.168.1.1 for the first PC in the network, 192.168.1.2 for the second).

My mother and I are only able to play if the one connecting types in the internal IP of the host (192.168.1.1), not the IP of the router. I do not know if there is any significance behind that.

The heart of the problem is this:
My cousin has his firewall turned off completely, and my mom and I have our firewalls configured to allow the game and the IPs of everyone playing (including our own router) inbound and outbound access to the Internet. When we connect to him and type in his IP address, the game says the host was not found.

However, he is able to ping our router, and we are able to ping his router with the command prompt program PING.

Any input on resolving this problem would be wonderful!
-Glen

EDIT: I believe the problem lies within port forwarding. I have opened the ports that the game requires in both the router and the modem, but canyouseeme.com does not recognize that I have opened the ports, nor does a telnet. Perhaps I am forgetting to open something?

Edited by Glunn11, 23 June 2008 - 10:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:51 AM

I got a question for yah. When you try to connect to your friends computer do you use the generic ip "192.168.1.X" Or something more along the lines of 69.X.X.X

I believe if you are trying to use the generic router ip address its going to look inside your lan for that ip address (EG. your mom would be 192.168.1.2 and so is your friend but it would find your mom)

http://whatismyip.com/ Is what I've used to find my internal IP address. (That is until Diablo 2 : LOD added a patch that would allow you to see your internal)

Ask your friend to visit that site and try connecting to the ip address that he should get from that site.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I was using the correct IP address, but I have finally fixed the problem after a lot of research. Our network was behind two routers (thanks to the people at Wal-Mart who didn't know we just needed an Ethernet switch), so I had to convert router #2 to act as a switch, then open the ports on router #1!
Whew.

-mods may close thread-

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

That will do it. :thumbsup:

Happy gaming.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users