Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:43 AM

ODD this - I removed the disk from my ME machine to migrate some files to a new comp. I did the jumper thing properly. When I had done that I reinstalled the drive in my old comp, (once again with jumpers all present and accounted for)

I start my comp

It does everything its supposed to do.I get the colour flash that tells me its windows ME.

Then nothing, just a flashing cursor.

The comp starts ok in safe mode, I have scandisked, anti virus'd, adawared, and spywared.

I have rebuilt the registry in DOS using a startup disk and A:scanreg/fix-it

I have even used sytem restore to a point before the problems.

It still does the same thing.

Please tell me its a very simple problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

Something I found, that you could try:

Boot to safe mode, but hangs on boot to normal indicates that either the drivers for the video
card are corrupted or that the settings are out of range.
Solution is to boot to safe mode, change resolution to 800x600 with refresh rate of 75Hz and go
to device manager and remove all entries under display adapter and reboot to windows and let it
redetect the card and install drivers.

Other possibilities are your individual user account is corrupt (if you are logging into safe
mode as administrator) , create new account and try to boot to it.
It could be any driver, but is almost always the video

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

It works!

I dunno if it was resetting the monitor, or unplugging the modem, but something has done the trick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users