Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Dvd Burner - Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jessa

jessa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hello,

I have a mad dog external dvd burner, with an old dell inspiron 600m with windows xp.
I've used it with no problems until now.
I plug the burner into the usb and my computer will beep that something has been connected.
But, the burner will not show up in 'my computer' or the device manager.
I use ICopyDVDs2 to burn dvds and it usually automatically detects the burner, but now it doesn't seem to know it's there.

I've tried turning the burner off and then on again - that used to help - not now.
I also tried restarting the computer with the burner plugged in and on.

I looked online for a manual, but I don't think mad dog has a website?

I did get the burner to work on my computer at work, but it makes my programs run slow - and the dvd decoders I use aren't working for the dvds I need to burn - dvd shrink and dvd43
So if you know of better ones I can download - please let me know.

Is there anything I can do to get my computer to use this burner again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

I read somewhere that mad dog external dvd burners are prone for this happening. You may be out of luck :thumbsup:

Edited by K()nT3nTs, 22 June 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:31 AM

Will the USB port recognize any other device?

Have you tried a different port?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jessa

jessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

To K()nT3nTs -- and I thought it was my computer all this time... I should give the old girl more credit. I will keep trying though ;)

To dc3 -- The usb will recognize my mouse, printer, and ipod in either port, and I've tried connecting the burner to each one and restarting the computer.

btw I have it connected to my computer at work and it the computer will recognize it - but ICopyDVDs2 will not, once it's ready to burn it says 'please insert a blank disc' --- it's in there!....

thanks y'all - Jessa

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

dvd43 is a very bad program, it was poorly written several years ago when it was abandoned

easycd/roxio/sonic and dell have also been messing up computers for several years where they lose the drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users