Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot - Search And Destroy! Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aliceeee----x

Aliceeee----x

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

i have spybot search and destroy!

but whenever i run it, it comes up with

cannot open file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" access denied!

it comes up with this over and over and over again so i was wondering what could cause this and how i could fix it!

i searched system 32 and it came up with two!

one was unable to open as it has everything needed for the proper running of the computer but the other has 2 files in called:
NTDLL.DLL
SMSS.EXE

any help greatly appreciated as i am extremely bad at computers!

thankss

xxxx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlchemicEND

AlchemicEND

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

Trying uninstalling it and then reinstall it.

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

Aliceeee----x,

Since the hosts file is often used and altered by malware to hijack your computer, a lot of protection programs (some Antivirus, most Anti-spyware/malware/adware programs) block it from being opened by external apps so it cannot be changed without your knowledge. The most likely case here, is that Spybot is trying to check to see if your hosts file is clean and is being denied access to that file.

Here's some information for you on what the hosts file is and how it is used.
The Hosts File and What It Can Do For You

If you don't have any symptoms of infection (pop-ups, unexpected redirects, hijacked search results) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Additionally, if Spybot locked it (because it can), you can disable that feature by following the instructions posted on the Spybot forums here.

And uninstalling, reinstalling it won't change the end result.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users