Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning WIN ME System of junk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hi All ,

I thought I was regularly cleaning my system of junk .

It is revealing what I found on my C Drive through Jam Software's "Tree Size Professional" immediately after use of CCleaner and MRUBlaster:

1. about 20 MB of BMP files in C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\4100\Temp\ .These ofcourse relate to my UMAX 4100 Scanner.
2. about 35 MB of files in C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\ .This includes about 33 MB of PAGE FILE.0 . This is the position after I had disabled SYSTEM RESTORE quite some time back and had tried unsuccessfully to delete the folder also.I do separately have a fixed 300 MB Page File in my root directory.
3. I find a large number of .Ink files on the DeskTop folder(each ranging in size from .1 to .5 KB).These appear to be the remnants of various short cuts that I may have been having at some time on my desktop.
5. Under D:\_RESTORE\TEMP\ I have one WIN386.0 file of 200 MB
6. one DAT file in the RESTORE folders in each of the other three drives that i have on my system . Each of these files is named SRDISKID and is of 1 byte size.

For locating temporary files the TreeSize program appear to be configured , by default , to search for files containing - TEMP* , *.TMP* , *~.* , *.??~ , *.OLD , FILE*.CHK , CHKDSK.CHK , *.$$$ , *.--- ; and I understand that I can safely remove most of the temp files but my questions are :

a) Can I safely remove the 35 MB page file in the restore folder as also the 200 MB WIN386.0 file on my D drive
b)are any special methods to be followed for their removal
c)what other types of files can be safely removed so that the program could be configured accordingly

Would request response as also additional inf,if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

1. I am not sure if you need those. THey may be old scans. YOu need to determine that.

2. I would leave that alone personally. I would not touch anying in your restore folder unless you absolutely need to.

3. .Ink or .lnk files? .lnk files are shortcut files.

4. ?

5. Leave them alone.

6. Leave them alone.

Those extensions you list can be safely removed. Also uninstall some older programs that you no longer use. Just make sure after you uninstall them you delete the folder it may have left behind

#3 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:41 AM

Right On Grin-if it aint broken,dont fix it!No need to create problems& then cry for HELP!C Cleaner does gd job,temp files can be deleted, recycle bin emptied etc.I
ran Norton System Wks (off CD)for maintainence;#disk,clean out reg&files etc=
reclaimed 35 mgs space,fixed directory&reg,scandisk etc=30 mins. :thumbsup:

#4 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:44 AM

Grinler & Deodar,

Thanks a lot.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users