Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System Using Vista (64bit)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Flifo

Flifo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

I'm a novice with a newly built PC having boot up problems with Windows Vista 64 OEM version OS.
My System
EVGA 750i FTW MB- Intel Q6700 Duo core quad CPU- 4 GB Ram- Samsung 750MB SATA HDD- 2 Optical Drives SATA- EVGA 9800GTX Video card- Zalman CPU Cooler- 800W PSU- Vista Home Premium 64Bit.

Initial config
Checked & set up BIOS Boot priority & then loaded Wind XP 32Bit OS. Once the proper hardware drivers were loaded, I was using this PC with no errors for about a week, until the Vista software arrived at which time I loaded Vista. First thing I noticed during Vista install was only the custom install was available, not the upgrade option. I then partitioned hard drive into 2 primary partitions (C: & D:) & continued the install of Vista to C: - no problems, that I can recall :huh:

After Vista install & reload appropriate drivers & programs, I was using PC with no unresolved issues. The next day, on initial boot up, I see "booting from CD" "press any key to boot from CD' then, after sevral seconds delay, I see 'error loading operating system' with no boot up. It only gives me this error on initial boot up, but when I use the PC re-set button it boots into Vista & runs ok.

I tried numerous things that I found on the internet to resolve this issue, including repartitioning drive(s), reformating, repair boot files, relaod OS, check, re-check & change boot priority in BIOS ect. I even had dual boot config with Win XP/Vista all no help. Needless to say I am very frustrated over this issue & have considered things like, Using Disk Boot & Nuke program, deleting Vista & go back with XP :huh: , buying a new HDD :huh: , or just live with the re-set every time I do a cold boot. :huh:

Current config
Deleted partitons & another clean install of Vista on one primary drive.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

Have you taken the CD(s) out of the drive(s)?
Have you run Startup Repair from the installation CD?
Have you set the BIOS to boot from the hard drive first?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Yes John, I have tried all three of your suggestions at different times with no help.

Currently have BIOS boot order as CD1-CD2 -HDD. I will try reset so HDD boots first again & post results- thnx

#4 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

Why is the BIOS set for the CD?? It should be set for SATA. Definitly check that out.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

The reason for putting the hard drive first is to ensure that it's not a problem with the CD drive that's causing this. A more radical approach would be to disconnect both cables on both CD drives (and resetting the HD to first boot in the BIOS). That will completely remove the CD's from the boot sequence.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

I switched boot order to HDD- CD1- CD2 & made no difference, when booting get 'error loading operating system' I will try disconnecting both CD's from MB when I get home & post outcome of that.

*When you say first boot should be set to SATA, you mean the SATA HDD correct? some of these terms are confusing to me.*

Thanks again.

Edited by Flifo, 23 June 2008 - 09:41 AM.

#7 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

Ok- I think we are narrowing down the problem here.
I disconnected the 2 CD drives & booted up PC- I notice during the power up tests it shows
SATA 1 (AO) 1aa01009
It then warns me about boot priority change & say's go to set up and check.
I go into Set Up> Advanced BIOS features> CMOS Utility> Hard Disk Boot priority and it say's
1. CH2 M. <blank>:<blank>
2. Bootable Add In cards <blank>

Ok so BIOS is not detecting HDD- I dont understand why it does detect when I reboot using the reset button as I checked these same
fields in CMOS set up & they are populated with the HDD info.

I tried using the IDE Auto detect feature & it still wont show the SAMSUNG HD753LJ1 Hard Drive. But it does when reset boot up again. wierd.

I have checked the MB installation guide & hesitent to change any settings not knowing exactly what I'm doing.
The HDD info says use the IDE Auto detection feature, which I tried, but if computer does not have auto detect, go to user define mode & select cylinder, head & sector- Sounds like the Cessna 172 engine top overhaul to me.

Also checked cable connection to HDD is secure & not loose.

Edited by Flifo, 23 June 2008 - 07:45 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:38 AM

Just a hunch, but have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?

#9 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:29 PM

tried new BIOS battery- no change :huh:

#10 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

Tried another SATA connection port on MB, verified connected to SATA1. Running out of ideas here.

#11 harvam007

harvam007

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

Do you have this problem when the DVD drives are attached? Sometimes optical drives don't play well with hard drives on the same SATA controller

Did you try another SATA port? the HD does not have to be in the first port

Another SATA cable \ power cable?

Checked & set up BIOS Boot priority & then loaded Wind XP 32Bit OS. Once the proper hardware drivers were loaded, I was using this PC with no errors for about a week, until the Vista software arrived at which time I loaded Vista. First thing I noticed during Vista install was only the custom install was available, not the upgrade option. I then partitioned hard drive into 2 primary partitions (C: & D:) & continued the install of Vista to C: - no problems, that I can recall

You can't upgrade a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os, so this was normal.

Edited by harvam007, 27 June 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#12 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

I did try disconnecting CD drives & only have HDD connected, also tried different SATA Cable & different MB port, all had no affect on problem of 'error loading operating system' on initial boot up.

Updated BIOS for my MB, but no change. But!! I did take a Western Digital SATA HHD out of my other box (with WinXP on it) & temporarily connected to this machine & the BIOS recognized it ok on boot up.
So, it seems to be this hard drive 'Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 3.0 Gb/s SATA 750GB' is the problem.

I dont understand why it recognizes this HDD after I use reset button, but I checked the Smasung support site & only see downloads to change from 3.0 to 1.5 Gb/s speed. Thier troubleshooting tool I down loaded did not work either, I suspect it's not compatible with Vista <sigh>

Is it possible that this HD is not compatible? and should I just quit now & get a different brand HDD? :huh: What's a good HD in the $100-$150 range?

Edited by Flifo, 28 June 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#13 RockOn

RockOn

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

Your HD should be compatible. Even my 7 years old HD is compatible with Windows Vista. Have you tried to change the Jumper setting behind the HD- Should be Master. Have you tried to reset your MB BIOS to Default Setting? If it didn't help, unplug all optical drives except your HD to see if your motherboard can detect it alone. Remember to unplug your computer from the power source before doing any hardware changes.

Edited by RockOn, 28 June 2008 - 01:18 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I'd suggest RMA'ing the hard drive to the manufacture if it's still under warranty.

#15 Flifo

Flifo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

I dont see any jumpers on the back of this HD. Do I need a jumper for SATA install? None came with this OEM HDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users