Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Free 7.5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hi all! I am plannning on upgrading to the new version of AVG Free but before I do that I want to clear up some results in my test results list. Although I do not seem to have any viruses, I do have several items listed in the results list that say "changed" and I would like to know what my next course of action should be. I do not know how to copy and paste the test results list into this thread so I'll just type it in here:
Windows\system32\kernel32.dll----changed
Windows\system32\wsock32.dll---changed
Windows\system32\user32.dll----changed
Windows\system32\shell32.dll---changed
Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe----changed
Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts----changed

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hello Tom_Slick

How often do you scan with AVG? The files listed are all, except one, critical OS files. These would regularly be updated when you do any Windows Updates or install a new Service Pack for example. The one file this doesn't apply to, is the Hosts file. But the same is true for it. If you have any security programs that update the Hosts, say like Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster or most of the other anti-spyware applications, this file will be changed when those update.

So, more than likely, if your AV is not flagging any other files, my guess would be that these are just "normal". It is AVG's way to show you which important files were changed since the last scan.

Hope this helps,
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

I personaly wouldnt worry about them. i unistalled AVG 7.5 then installed AVG 8.0 without any problems.

#4 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hello Tom_Slick

How often do you scan with AVG? The files listed are all, except one, critical OS files. These would regularly be updated when you do any Windows Updates or install a new Service Pack for example. The one file this doesn't apply to, is the Hosts file. But the same is true for it. If you have any security programs that update the Hosts, say like Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster or most of the other anti-spyware applications, this file will be changed when those update.

So, more than likely, if your AV is not flagging any other files, my guess would be that these are just "normal". It is AVG's way to show you which important files were changed since the last scan.

Hope this helps,

Hi Galadriel, I scan daily. I have noticed in the past that when I do Windows updates, some of the files that I listed are in the results list. Except for the "host" file. This is the first time that I've seen that one. And I have recently made some changes. Although I agree that these entries are probably not a concern, I cannot figure out how to "allow" these changes. Help with that would be great also.
AVG is not flagging any other files, so I feel that these changes came about after installing the "service pack 3" for Windows XP. Thanks for any additional help and info!

samuel3, Thanks very much for the input! All help is appreciated!! :thumbsup:

#5 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

There are certain files as noted below which are liable to be changed following Windows updates/patches and which change makes AVG suspicious.
kernel32.dll Change C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll 

user32.dll Change C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll 

shell32.dll Change C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll 

ntoskrnl.exe Change C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

You can tell AVG to ignore these instances on future scans ( the files will still be scanned for true infections) by clicking the F3 key whilst the Test Centre window is open, and in the dialogue that opens, check the appropriate box.

#6 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

Thanks very much for the info, alumbagh! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users