Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives Put In Another Pc Do Not Work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 must_must

must_must

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hi Gurus: :inlove:

Put the old hard disks in the new computer, at boot after selection of safe mode/normal mode, it loads up drivers and then gives :thumbsup: error message:
"Check for viruses, remove the newly installed drives or hard disk controllers. Error 0x00000078 (0xF78E0528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Particulars of both old and the new systems:

OLD
BIOS: COMPAQ - 20020913 686P2 v3.14 Dt. 09/13/02
CPU: Intel Pentium III, Code name Coppermine, Clock 866.67

NEW
Desktop PC HP Pavillion 500
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ver. AM37308 Dt: 12/16/2002
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Freq 1998.38MHz

Hard Disk Drives: WDC WD205AA and Maxtor 6Y080P0

I can access the drives through Puppy Linux, the drives are fine and the data in them is accesible fine too. I am a novice in Linux. I do have the windows installation CD, but i am afraid that I may destroy my data :trumpet: (lot of SWs installed and configured). Resetting the new computer BIOS is also an option :flowers: .....which i am leaving upto you guys to guide me.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards;

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 June 2008 - 07:33 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hard drives moved to another system...can work as boot drives/partitions...but a little work must be done first.

If those same drives are moved to another system and they are not installed as boot drives/partitions, they work just like any other connected hard drive (except the programs installed on said drives will not run).

It all depends on what the user wants to do or is trying to do :thumbsup:.

From your statements, I am assuming that you want to use the old boot disk...as the boot disk in the new system.

In most cases, it is just better to do a clean install of the operating system in the new computer.

But you can try a repair install of XP in the new system. You will need to reactivate and you will need a bona fide license for XP.

Worth reading:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

If I understand you correctly, you have taken a hdd with a Windows operating system installed on it that was installed in another computer, and have installed the hdd into another computer to boot from. If this is the case then you probably will have to do a fresh installation of the OS. There a registry pug-n-play IDs that are recognized for the chipset of the motherboard, and when you install the hdd with another motherboard (chipset) the OS system becomes confused with the new IDs. This could result in the OS failing immediately, or small glitches which will be seen when you first fire it up, and continue to get worse until it fails.

If you wish to know more about this problem, you can read this article.

If you can access the important files, I would transfer these to a removable media such as CDs, DVDs, or a flash drive, and plan of doing a fresh installation.

Edited by dc3, 23 June 2008 - 10:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users