Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What To Do If My System Is Damaged

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:09 AM

I just thought about this - What if somehow my system files (some of them), became corrupt and this caused my OS to not load properly. What would I do? Would I run SFC from the disk - if so how?

I thought it wise to ask in case I do ever run into this situation :thumbsup:

Thanks,
David.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

If your system won't boot you can use the Windows XP CD to enter the Recovery Console by doing the following:

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Once in the Recovery Console there are various commands you can try:

chkdsk /r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information from the hard drive.

bootcfg /rebuild completely re-creates the Boot.ini file. The user must confirm each step.

fixboot writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition.

fixmbr repairs the master boot record of the boot disk

You cannot run the System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console.

Finally you can do a repair install:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:11 AM

Thanks Budapest :thumbsup:

Alternatively, I plug the corrupt drive into another build as a slave drive, get my files off of it (ones that are required etc.) then repair install?

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Hello, David.

Usually when there is a corrupted file, it will be listed in the resulting BSOD at boot. You can then boot to the recovery console, rename the bad file by changing it's extension to ".old".
Then you can copy a (hopefully) working version of the file over from the Windows XP CD.

The question is: How did the file corrupt itself in the first place? I like the idea of copying your files off first. When I've seen that before, usually it was either RAM or the Hard Disk going.... neither of which are good news. But if it's the hard disk, you want to get irreplaceable data off as soon as humanly possible... but you had that backed up already, right? :thumbsup:

Alternatively, I plug the corrupt drive into another build as a slave drive, get my files off of it (ones that are required etc.) then repair install?

That should work, but if I were you, if you're going to take the time to copy the files off the drive, you may at least want to consider doing a full format and reinstall. If it was a software problem that corrupted the files, this should prevent the problem from just re-appearing.

Good luck,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users