Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Automatic Hardware Detection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikae

Mikae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

Hi...

Is there a software designed to automatically detect what hardware you have and finding an update for them and also providing you with the update files? I've tried one a long time ago, and it did find hardware updates but wasn't able to provide them for me.

Also i'd like some information on updateing the BIOS of my Asus motherboard. I know BIOS updates are a bit too fragile so can i have a step by step guide to how i could update my BIOS without messing up anything? I still don't understand what BIOS updates are important for? they speed up your processor? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

The Device Manager will list the drivers for each item listed. If you click on the box with the + inside the menu will expand allowing you to see the different devices in the extended menu. If you right click on any specific device and choose Properties you will have tab for the Driver, under this tab you can view the driver that you are assigned and update it as well.

Start> right click on My Computer, Manage, Device Manager.

Unless you are having a problem with you computer not recognizing new hardware I wouldn't bother with up flashing the BIOS. If you have a glitch in the process it will corrupt the BIOS effectively making your computer inoperable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RockOn

RockOn

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

It's recommend that unless you having problem with your computer you should not update your BIOS. Personally, I would go and update my BIOS even if I'm not experiencing any problem. Having the latest BIOS doesn't necessarily mean that your computer is faster than the previous BIOS, but nonetheless less problems in the future. I doubt that you will need a step by step guide on how to update your BIOS as it's extremely easy with nowadays "BIOS Updater". If you happen to have an old Motherboard then you might need to burn the BIOS to a CD or Floppy Disk.

For your hardware drivers you can use DriverMax to find new updates.

Hope that help

Edited by RockOn, 22 June 2008 - 11:40 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

As DC3 said...

I have to ask...what would possess you to want to take a course of action...for which you don't understand either the positive or negative effects of such?

Getting beyond all speculation...what is wrong with your system...that you are thinking of doing anything? What do you see as the problems...leading to your queries?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users