Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Install Both Winxp And Linux In One Computer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 imjscn

imjscn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:21 AM

Here's my basical PC info:

Intel Celeron CPU 2.4GHz
512 MB RAM
80G storage

I newly rebuilt my PC because of virus, and I've uploaded all my documents to online storage...that makes my 80G harddisk almost empty. I'm thinking make some use of it...of course if 512 RAM is ok.... I'm excited about this idea:

I have Windows XP professional installed in disk C, I will use this disk for work.

Then, if possible, I'll install a mini Linux in disk D, I will use this disk for fun.

If anything happens in the future, I can formate disk D without any pain, and C is not going to be infected because it's a different system.
Here are my questions:

1. Is this possible?
2. If possible, how to swich between the 2 system easily without reboot PC?
3. Will it greatly slow down PC?
4. Antivirus/Firewall will take care of both OS, or they protect only the disk which they are installed in?

Thanks! Please tell me it's a great idea, then my disk C is going to be free from any virus because it'll be just for boring jobs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi there,

I've never done it before but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

It shouldn't slow down your computer because when using Windows it will only be using disk C.

Take a look at the link below, it might give you some guidance.

XP and Linux Dual Booting Guide

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

If you only have one disk in your computer then it will require one extra step (partitioning). But if you have 2 disks in ur computer then you could just install the Linux distro to the other drive and then everything would (hopefully) be happy. If you have not yet choosen a linux distrobution, I would go for Ubuntu (or something in that family) It's not the smallest distro out there (if you want a really small one, check out "Damn Small Linux") but if you don't install a lot of programs then it won't take up too much space.

#4 imjscn

imjscn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

Thanks,cornzey and lhamil64! Great read on that link! "When there is a will, there is a way" :-) I'm going to try it :-)

lhamil64, I have one harddisk, but partitioned into disk C and disk D, I guess in my case I can install Linux in D without further partition?
I will study Ubntu family. I need one that cost less CPU. I read an artical about "Damn Small Linux", but I think maybe it's better install a standard one...it's a chance to learn Linux, if things works wonderfully, I'd change to Linux permenently.

Currently, I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suit(virus/spy/firewall), After install Linux, will ZoneAlarm work on the Linux system? or should I install ZoneAlarm again for this Linux system?

#5 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

Thanks,cornzey and lhamil64! Great read on that link! "When there is a will, there is a way" :-) I'm going to try it :-)

lhamil64, I have one harddisk, but partitioned into disk C and disk D, I guess in my case I can install Linux in D without further partition?
I will study Ubntu family. I need one that cost less CPU. I read an artical about "Damn Small Linux", but I think maybe it's better install a standard one...it's a chance to learn Linux, if things works wonderfully, I'd change to Linux permenently.

Currently, I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suit(virus/spy/firewall), After install Linux, will ZoneAlarm work on the Linux system? or should I install ZoneAlarm again for this Linux system?

Nope Linux cant run windows programs out of the box though Anti-Virus of any sort is not needed due. I've never even seen a virus for Linux.

#6 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hi there,

I've never done it before but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

It shouldn't slow down your computer because when using Windows it will only be using disk C.

Take a look at the link below, it might give you some guidance.

XP and Linux Dual Booting Guide

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Thanks Cornzey, that was a great site...I now have Ubuntu and WinXP Pro on the same machine
with no problem....Didn't take all that long either.
Thanks again.

Edit: Also just finished the same with another computer...so double thanks.

Edited by joe883, 23 June 2008 - 06:05 PM.

#7 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

I will study Ubntu family. I need one that cost less CPU.

check out Pclinux 2007

its amazing

#8 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

So long as Windows is installed first to the first partition of the drive you can install as many LInux distros as you want following that. Windows does not play well with others and demands to be forst or it will wreck your MBR. It's not a big deal wrestling it back, but to avoid this scenario is best-case.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

http://wubi-installer.org/ Used it without any problems at all, and can be removed through add/remove programs in windows.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

I too used the wubi, it was a success and I am learning a new os, and if my windows crashes I got Linux Umbutu, enjoy!!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#11 clester

clester

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

1. Is this possible?

Yep. Easy.

2. If possible, how to swich between the 2 system easily without reboot PC?

Nope, you'll only be able to run one Operating System at a time. A system reboot is the only way to do this (unless you running a virtual machine like VMWare or something).

3. Will it greatly slow down PC?

Nope, only one Operating System at a time will be up, will run just like normal.

4. Antivirus/Firewall will take care of both OS, or they protect only the disk which they are installed in?

No, AV will only apply to the OS you install it on. Matter of fact, unless you're using some third party application, Windows will not even be able to access the linux partitions.

Just some hints.
Install Windows first, then linux. Windows isn't very nice with the MBR, linux will install a boot loader(Grub or Lilo) that will let you pick between the OS's.
Use an easy linux distro if you're not familiar with it. I recommend something like Ubuntu:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Let me know if you have any questions.

clester

#12 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

A few things that might be useful:

A guide to using an existing WinXP install from Ubuntu w/ VMWare
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769883

A driver that gives Windows the ability to understand a EXT 2 and EXT 3 filesystem (2 of the most commonly used filesystems in Linux)
http://fs-driver.org/index.html

10 tips for after you install or upgrade Ubuntu
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/04/25/1...upgrade-ubuntu/

Those should help get you started.

#13 tossy

tossy

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

I would say, if u have two disk in your system then its not become difficult to install winzp and linux in one computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users