Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Make My Fan Speed Controller Control My Psu's Fan Speed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JamieH

JamieH

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hi all,
I have an Enermax PSU with a knob on the back to control the fan's speed.

I have a Scythe Kama Bay fan controller on the front of my PC. Is it possible to make the fan controller in charge of the speed of my PSU's fan? It came with a 3pin fan plug, but that only works for monitoring the RPM, it doesn't let me change it.

Can I open up the PSU and do some rewiring to accomplish this?

Thanks,
jamieh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

Warning: The capacitors inside a PSU hold 110V or 230V line voltage charges depending on the local voltage. Discharging these potentials to your body could be life threatening. Unless you have a background in electronics I would suggest not attempting to modify or relocate the fan speed control.

Edited by dc3, 22 June 2008 - 01:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JamieH

JamieH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

Warning: The capacitors inside a PSU hold 110V or 230V line voltage charges depending on the local voltage. Discharging these potentials to your body could be life threatening. Unless you have a background in electronics I would suggest not attempting to modify or relocate the fan speed control.

Yeah I know, I will leave it unplugged for 48 hours.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:38 AM

Yeah I know, I will leave it unplugged for 48 hours.

48 hour?!? Those caps can retain a charge for weeks! You are demonstrating a lack of knowledge which could cause you harm.

Another consideration is that you will void the warranty of the PSU if you modify it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users