Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios on Bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hclowns

hclowns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:32 AM

I just put together a new system for my son.
Sidwinder MGE case 400w
AMD Semipro +2300
256M PC3200 Ram
Asus ATI 9550 AGP
Asus A7V8X-X MotherBoard
Samsung DVD and CDRW
Maxtor 80g hd
Award bios 6...Asus version 1013

Sometimes when I re-start system it randomly goes into the bios. It's done this since day one. After I got all up and working I had a system crash and big issues and now have new Ram but I'm concerned this bug caused the crash or better yet why is this happening. I've build about 6 systems over 8 years and never seen this one. ONe techie asked me to swap power supplies???? Doesn't make sense consider the cold boot (complete shut down) this doesn't happen. Only on a re-boot, seems to really happen when installing software.

Any thoughts? should I force them to take the board back?
FFL Coach Clowns

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Dear hclowns,

I have ASUS as my mother board, vid card and CDROM drives. ASUS is a great company but sometimes they put out gear that needs updates immediately. I would check the ASUS site for upgrades.

I had to update my BIOS when I first installed my board. Also, check the BIOS to make sure you have enabled or disabled the proper functions.

On the problem of your system rebooting all the time:

When you installed the ASUS software did you restart your computer after every installation? ASUS software needs to be installed one program at a time, I don't know why but I had severe issues when I waited to install all the programs before rebooting.

What virus did you have?

How did you get rid of it?

The reason for the questions is that you could have several different issues and we are just trying to track it down.

Thanks,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 hclowns

hclowns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the input but, the last load I did it all one step at a time and reboot each time to make sure it was all in.
I loaded all the latest drivers etc. This is about my 6th computer I've built. (by the way the most reliable was ECS based, Soyo was the worst)

The bios is 1013 which according to their web and auto update is the latest. I attempted to update the bios. Can't get the board to respond to alt F2 (the built in flash) before it's off and running. No way to do a boot floop in win 2000 so I tried the windows software version of bios update. It ran but it still did the same thing the next two times I re-booted it went in the bios and as it appeared it is the latest bios. I was hoping this might have been just a defective load but something else is going on....never seen this before. I'm going to most likely sent the whole MB/CPU assembly back for replacement. I intentionally buy them assembled since the vendor claims to test. I guess they wouldn't notice this.

Even the tech guys at Asus acted like they never heard of this.
FFL Coach Clowns

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:37 PM

Dear hclowns,

You actually got a tech at ASUS to help you? Ha :thumbsup:

When I had problems they never returned my emails...maybe its me. :flowers:

Anyway, I am sorry that you have to return the MB/CPU. I didn't know you were using Win 2000 as an OS and that it does not allow you to boot floppy.

Since I have never used Win 2000, try checking out the Win 2000 forum in the future. You might pick up something good.

For now, if you have the intent on sending back the MB/CPU, I would format the drive (s) using a program called Wipedrive.

You mentioned earlier the computer might have a bug? I have had the worst of them and Wipedrive cleaned my hard drive so good Mr. Clean would approve.

Sorry, I try to inject some humor so you don't throw your computer out the window or worse.

I am serious about the program though, but you must have all re-install programs available. When I say clean, it cleans...everything. Check it out.

Let us know,

Junkdk :trumpet:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users