Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

We have a server which is much slower than we would like (800MHz) and want to move the 2000 HDs to another machine with 3 GHz. When I moved the HDs to the new computer, I got the unmountable_boot_disk error. BIOs did not show either of the hard drives. I also disconnected each drive separately, changing slave to master as needed, and the error continued and did not show up in BIOs. I then put back the orginal HD alone and it worked. Added one of the drives as a slave, got the error. Used other drive as a slave, same error.

Put the 2-2000 HDs back in original tower and it worked. The other computer with XP hard drive also worked when put back as it was. We really need to move the HDs to a faster computer and we can't afford to lose the data on them. One of the HDs (a newer one) is a Seagate, the other is WD. What can I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

The drive you are moving does need to be the slave, it will not boot in another tower. Are you sure the Master hard drive is not set to CS (cable Select). Check and be sure it is set to Master with a slave drive, sometimes it will have just a Master setting and then it will have a Master with slave setting. You should be connecting both hard drives to the same cable for these settings.

#3 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

When I moved moved the two HDs, I kept the Drives 0 and 1 the same, both jumpered correctly. When I tried them separately, each was jumpered as a master to try them. When I used the XP as a master (the HD originally in the new computer), I had the other drives jumpered as slaves and tried each of them with the XP drive. Both HDs were on the same cable with the master at the end of the cable and the slave with the center connection. I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. Thanks for your reply, any other ideas for me to try?

#4 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Wait, Crizz44, are you saying that I can't move both drives, putting a used, already formatted hard drive in place of the other HD in another tower will cause it to not boot? Do we have to leave the XP hard drive in the new tower as the master? We can't move both HDs and leave the original HD in the new tower as it will only support 2 HDs.

Seems to me that we should be able to move both Win2000 HDs to a new tower without any major problem although that doesn't seem to be the case. Any help will be appreciated.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

Taking a hdd with a Window operating system installed on it from one computer and installing it to another will usually result in having to reinstall the operating system. There are IDs in the registry that recognize the chipset of the first motherboard, and when you introduce the hdd to a new motherboard with a different chipset the OS becomes confused. For a complete explanation of this there is an article which you can read here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to do this another way. Perhaps I can transfer the data rather than the HD. I guess I'll have to read up on how to set up a server using XP (or 2000 for that matter as I have never configured a server).

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

Sorry to confuse you. Thank you dc3 for clearing it up for me. Yes, I meant a hard drive with Windows xp installed will not work with another tower because it will recognize all the new hardware. But if you format the drive and install the OS from the beginning you shouldn't be having problems with that. I have had computers with that error "unmountable _boot_disk" that the boot drive is faulty and I had to repair the boot in the recovery console. But that was not because it was moved from one computer to another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users