Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4bsod Errors And More

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

Alright, Im fairly certain I can put this in the hardware section since I ruled out software by formatting the harddrive and reinstalling windows. (or at least an attempt) Which was a big mistake...

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT TO COME

Homebuilt PC - Created Mid March 2008
Asus P5KE-WiFi-AP motherboard
Sapphire HD3870 512MB DDR4 Video Card
Intel E6750 Processor
2 Crucial 1GB, Dual Channel 1066 Sticks of Ram (BL2KIT12864AL1065)
Seagate Barracuda - 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
500W Powersupply
Vista x64 Ultimate

Backstory... On occasion, I would get an "Overclocking Failed CMOS Reset to default values" sort of error which I guess I kind of ignored especially since I dont overclock... which again, stupid on my part. (Bios were at all auto settings except mem frequency of what my ram is - 1066)

Another problem Ive had is te Wifi AP Drivers... So I just disabled the device and bought a router...

Other than those issues which started probably after a month or so of the system being stable, nothing else seemed to be wrong...

Now Im not entirely sure when this next symptom started but sometime in May Id say... I would be laying in bed and suddenly I would randomly hear a POST beep coming from the computer room. Again, stupid as I was being I would ignore it. This only happened on occasion.

Now about 2 Weeks ago, One morning I get on my computer and It turns out windows recovered from a fatal error and now I start to get concerned. Error details say BSOD... and yeah... It wasn't until the computer actually restarted in front of my face things started to get serious. (Before it would seem it would only happen while idle) I actually caught a glimpse of the BSOD that was happening and thought it mentioned some sort of Page fault but I couldnt be sure.

After that reboot I found out how to prevent windows from auto rebooting when BSOD would show up. As I've been using my computer over the last 2 weeks, I kept getting BSOD Errors at least every few hours and sometimes every few minutes. At one Point I had to boot to safe mode once even to get windows to finally boot normally at all.

The three Errors I got only were unique in separate items they mentioned:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
CI.DLL
Not ACPI Compliant

Otherwise they gave some bibble babble on Checking recently installed hardware/software/drivers etc...
I Did Check my bios for ACPI settings and ACPI 2.0 Compatibility was disabled... enabled that feature and havent seen that message since.

I Ran memtest, chkdsk, talked with some friends, tried diagnosing many things but came up with nothing. At one point I thought it was my External HD - Unplugged it and then it didnt BSOD til about a day and a half later... My other thought was my BIOS says my 3.3v rail was at 3.6ish and was in RED but I have been told that its a bit high but shouldn't be causing that (So I ruled it out...)
So finally now, I got frusterated and Did a Nuke and Repave (Format HDD and reinstall windows)

Unfortunately... Reinstalling Windows has not been so smooth. I kept getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Errors during Installation. It was sort of random but always during the expanding files section... twice randomly in the middle and twice right at the end... I played around with RAM settings a bit and finally after manually setting everything to what company reccomends (1066, 5-5-5-15, and 2.2v) I finally got a different BSOD Error right at the end of the expanding phase!

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

So the original page fault guy came back to haunt me...
After this I tried what I should have done before... Completely Reloaded BIOS Default Setup settings.
Just 2 seconds ago I finished installing VISTA and I now See widgets, desktop etc... Im going to continue to install drivers and whatnot but I doubt This is over... unless...

Could setting my RAM to 1066 (which it is) truly cause BSOD errors?! I dont really know what posessed me to change that in the first place anyway...

Now that I have Vista up and running again, I can at least post the memory dump logs (which as ive mentioned I am stupid and didnt do this in the first place) But unfortunately all other logs are gone due to HD format correct?

Anywho. As I said, I doubt this is over.. I mean can 4 different BSOD error messages (mind you they happened more than 4 times...) really be caused by that one thing? I know its tough without logs but I thought I would post and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks in Advance
-SpartanDonut

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Here is a link to help test for any hardware issues. When the computer was built, was thermal paste put inbetween the cpu and fan?

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

As for your PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA error, check out this microsoft support document:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939720

Edited by Crizz44, 21 June 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

Well...I don't see where you've done any checking of the most obvious candidate...the hard drive.

Did you delete the previous partitions...and create a new C: partition...or did you merely format over the previous partition, retaining any structures which may have required attention/demolition?

What are the specifics/actual content...of the BSOD messages?

I like CliffsNotes versions of somethings...but not troubled computers :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

Last night I checked on the thermal paste thing, there was some crusty gray stuff which seems to resemble a thermal pad - so I went out and bought some paste and Applied it. Im idling at about 38C and When I used Orthos I topped out at about 63C but after a half hour or so of it being at 63C there were no crashes... So I think I can rule out temp... maybe...

Today, I flashed my bios - didnt fix it... then I ran Seagate's SeaTools on my harddrive... Unfortunately My computer locked up before Seatools finished so that was no good... (Perhaps thats an obvious sign?)
Im running memtest again as we speak because for some reason, thats what I feel is most obvious (and im at school) and I am going to run SeaTools again when I get home so I can watch it more closely (not leave it alone while i go get my hair cut...)

A friend actually recently suggested replacing my SATA cables so I am going to go ahead and give that a shot. Im also going to try unplugging my DVD Drive altogether and then Try the "1 stick of ram at a time" trick from the suggestion that the dual channel on my board could be having issues.

New BSOD Error Today - It said there was an attempt to release a thread it did not control (or something along those lines)
I am going to apologize for my vaguness however. I haven't been doing well at keeping track of the stop error codes. I can however upload the memory dumps if anyone wants to check them out. I will do that when I get home as well.

As far as whether or not I formatted or partitioned... I did both. :thumbsup:

So Ill give those things a try and Ill take any advice anyone else has. Thanks
SpartanDonut

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

I found a link to some useful information that may help out. Maybe you will recognize some of the stop error messages you are getting.

http://www.fixya.com/support/r622952-compl...ows_stop_errors

#6 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hey thanks for the link, unfortunately didnt help too much (only found 1 of my errors) but I do appreciate your effort! :thumbsup:

Anywho, So I got home tonight and after a 7 hour memtest everything came out clean. I shut down my computer, swapped the cable on my HDD as well as changing SATA ports. Booted it up and I would say it booted in record time, and after the welcome screen went away all my programs were loaded INSTANTLY... So performance has significantly improved... Could this be a sign?

After that, I ran the SeaTools Diagnostics again on my HDD and this time I got to see it finish and it Passed so thats Good.

Anywho, one thing At a time. Ill let my computer go until it crashes again (shouldnt take more than 2 days if it does it again) and then when it does, Ill go with 1 stick of ram at a time and see if things become stable. Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks
-SpartanDonut

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

Good to hear about your Sata cable exchange. It will be very interesting to know if you have further problems. Just the performance increase is a good sign !! Keep us informed please.

#8 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Well, I just got the blue screen again - off the top of my head (im at work now) I remember the error being something like 0x00000109 and it mentioned CI.DLL (happened while it was idle not booting as I know CI.DLL can be) but I obviously dont know the parameters... I do however have new symptoms which may help.

Lately, when my monitor does its auto power down thing it wont wake back up, so I have to manually restart the computer to get things going again. However now, when I restart the computer (whether its after not waking up or not... its random) the monitor claims that its on (via green led versus blinking yellow) but doesn't actually show anything unless I completely power down for a minute or so. While its "not working" i hear the proper post beep however I cant get to the windows booted sound because every time its wanted my to hit like F1 or F2 to load default bios settings, One time even my CMOS Date/Time wasn't set... well, the time was reset but the date was right. Could it be a bad battery causing all of this?

Anywho, I dont know if this new symptom is a sign of A mad monitor, graphics card, motherboard... I dunno. What do you guys think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

I forgot to mention that when i unplug the monitor from the computer during this weird "on but not" phase it stays "on"
As i said, need to completely shut down computer for a bit to make it go away... (makes me think more bad monitor)

Edited by SpartanDonut, 24 June 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

I don't know if your monitor is faulty, but I don't think it is causing your errors. Do you have a laptop or another friends computer you could test your monitor on?
It could be the CMOS battery, if you keep losing all of your BIOS settings. It's a cheap test to go to Radio Shack and get a new battery to test. They run about $5 usually a CR2032 watch type battery.
Possible BIOS problems with "Overclocking Failed CMOS Reset to default values" , losing time.

This guy had the same error as you, do you have these settings in your BIOS? He also updated the BIOS but you have done that already.

Mrtrog wrote"Had to specify the CL settings for the RAM in the BIOS and disable "AI Tuning" under Advanced in the BIOS. I changed from the AI Tuning option to "Standard" and has been running happy for a few hours now in Windows and whist gaming."

Which if you battery is not keeping the settings could be reseting these back to default each time. If you have an onboard video, it may be setting the default back to onboard video instead of your video card.
I say give the battery a try, it can't hurt for the price.

#10 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

No onboard video so that rules that out. Im gonna get a battery tomorrow so until then I guess Ive got nothing. When I got home from work today it was locked up on the screen saver, had to reboot and got a bsod twice - 0x00000050 saying page_fault_in_non_paged_area and CI.DLL again.

Finally got it booted and here I am. Anything lead towards graphics card? (which I unfortunately dont have a spare to swap out... )

#11 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:40 AM

Alright well... CMOS battery was fine, so I went with taking out one stick of ram and things actually seemed to be stable again for a while... so before I went to bed, out of a hunch i decided to swap the 2 sticks of ram so that the one that i figured was potentially bad into the machine and ran memtest for a 3rd time. I went to bed and wake up this morning to see that memtest has actually locked up. On the frozen screen it stated 31 errors found in only 57 minutes and then the weird thing was under test 6 it said it found 32 thousandish errors and that number kept zeroing and coming back strangely.

Anywho! I feel that it is safe to assume that bad ram is the culprit here, and I will from now on always run my memtest with only 1 stick at a time! If it turns out ram isn't at fault... Ill be back...

#12 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

I think you are right. If the battery didn't help the only other possibilities I could find would be the ram or the motherboard itself. Hopefully you can find a good price on the memory. Any chance the Crucial memory had a warranty ?

#13 SpartanDonut

SpartanDonut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

Alright, Well after 8 hours of testing which was the equivalent of 19 full passes of the test, I think its safe to say that my other stick of RAM is GOOD! Thank Goodness! And I do believe Crucial has a limited lifetime warranty on the RAM if I remember reading correctly... Ill have to look into that. Anywho. Thanks All, and as I promised before, if for some strange reason, things aren't all better... Ill be back!

Thanks
SpartanDonut

#14 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

I hope you have found your problem, thank you for sharing your results!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users