Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant System Errors

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 joefosho315

joefosho315

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hey guys, I've got an ongoing problem now on my Windows XP laptop that is getting worse and worse. The problem started about 3 months ago, when my computer would randomly restart whenever it wanted to, and then it would give me a "serious error has occured" message upon logging into Windows. I just let it go, but there was a point that it was really bad where I was about to do something about it. However, it magically stopped occuring and hadn't been giving me much trouble. That period was probably only for half a month at most, and during that period, my computer would still restart, but just not as frequently. Now, the problem has progressed to the point where I can hardly use my computer - it restarts every 3 minutes. Thus, I'm rushing to fit this entire post in! I've logged on to the event viewer under system to see what type of system errors are causing this. There are 2 main errors that keep occuring and causing my computer to restart, 1st the most frequent one, says the following:

"The CMS PortIO Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

The 2nd most frequent error says the following:

"Error code 100000d1, parameter1 83c00000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f6816988."

Of course, when the problem started happening, I tried doing a system restore to a previous date, but that did nothing. I searched on google for these errors and it's still hard to find a solution. Is my problem here software related, or perhaps hardware related (my laptop IS around 4 years old)?

Thanks a ton guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

What brand and model is your laptop?

#3 joefosho315

joefosho315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

IBM Thinkpad T42

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hello joefosho315. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The first error can be solved by disabling the "CMS PortIO" service. Since it is failing to start, stopping it from trying to start won't hurt.
  • Click on your Start Menu, then Run.
  • In the box that appears, copy in services.msc and hit OK. The Service Manager will open.
  • Look in the list of services for CMS PortIO. Right click it and select Properties.
  • Click the Startup Type dropdown and select Disabled.
  • Click OK to apply the settings and close out of the Service Manager.
The second error is likely related to a hardware driver. You can try to look in your device manager for any failing devices.
  • In the box that appears, copy in devmgmt.msc and hit OK. The Device Manager will start.
  • Click the +'s to expand each of the categories. Look for entries marked with a yellow warning sign.
  • Post back with any faulty devices you find
Does the situation improve?

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 joefosho315

joefosho315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hello joefosho315. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The first error can be solved by disabling the "CMS PortIO" service. Since it is failing to start, stopping it from trying to start won't hurt.

• In the box that appears, copy in services.msc and hit OK. The Service Manager will open.
  • Look in the list of services for CMS PortIO. Right click it and select Properties.
  • Click the Startup Type dropdown and select Disabled.
  • Click OK to apply the settings and close out of the Service Manager.
The second error is likely related to a hardware driver. You can try to look in your device manager for any failing devices.
  • In the box that appears, copy in devmgmt.msc and hit OK. The Device Manager will start.
  • Click the +'s to expand each of the categories. Look for entries marked with a yellow warning sign.
  • Post back with any faulty devices you find
Does the situation improve?

With Regards,
The Panda

Hey Panda, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, CMS PortIO does not show up on my list in the service manager. Thus, there was no way I could turn it off. Second, there are no failing devices under device manager. If it helps at all, I forgot to add that each time my computer restarts, I get a BSOD saying something along the lines of "IRQL not less or equal" message. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I was able to view "hidden devices" on device manager, and there I saw an exclamation next to CMS Port IO service. There, I was able to disable the service. We'll see how that goes. But what would have caused my CMS PortIO service to go bad in the first place? Can I somehow reinstall CMS PortIO service?

Edited by joefosho315, 21 June 2008 - 05:05 PM.

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hello joefosho315.

Hey Panda, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, CMS PortIO does not show up on my list in the service manager. Thus, there was no way I could turn it off.

Sorry, I had assumed it was a service rather than a driver.

But what would have caused my CMS PortIO service to go bad in the first place? Can I somehow reinstall CMS PortIO service?

It could be that part of the driver software got damaged. I do not think this is an essential device.

However, if you want, you could go back to the Device Manager, right click on the CMS PortIO entry and select Uninstall.

Your computer should recongnize the "unknown" hardware and try to install the drivers for it. A restart may be needed. If it does not find a new device, then that piece of hardware may no longer be on your computer.

Please do keep us updated on the situation over the next few days.

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 joefosho315

joefosho315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

Panda, I went ahead and uninstalled the CMS PortIO service. However, my computer is still running into the same exact problem. Upon restarting, and the BSOD, windows event manager says the same message: "The CMS PortIO Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." How could this be happening if I uninstalled CMS PortIO? It's not even listed under device manager anymore. Ideas?

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

A self help guide for finding BSOD errors:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74712/how-to-find-bsod-error-messages/

Note- You may need to download the de-bugging tool listed in the references section to use this to it's full extent.

Also, maybe part of the error is that you removed the device or driver in question but there is still a registry entry that needs to be changed to disable the message. Windows is still thinking that the device or driver is installed but just can't find it.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#9 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hello again.

It seems that indeed the driver is still there. Let's try disabling it using this batch script.
  • Copy the following into a notepad. Do not copy the word "Code".
    @ECHO OFF
    ECHO Please wait.
    sc getkeyname "CMS PortIO">temp123.txt
    FOR /F "tokens=*" %%G IN ('type temp123.txt') DO SET keyname=%%G
    del /q temp123.txt
    set keyname=%keyname:~39%
    sc stop %keyname%>nul
    sc config "%keyname%" start= disabled
    pause>nul
    exit
  • Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input disable.bat.
  • Hit OK.
Double click disable.bat. A command prompt window will open.

Take note of the message stating if the command was successful.

Note: You may need to run this script in Safe Mode.

With Regards,
The Panda

#10 joefosho315

joefosho315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

Panda, when I try to run disable.bat, I get the following message:

"[SC] OpenService FAILED 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Perhaps I can what was mentioned above and try to edit the registry so that the computer is no longer looking for CMS?

#11 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hello.

Ok we can try that. Either way we will need to get the key name first. The last script may have failed because the keyname was "CMS PortIO" (or I was just being not so smart).

Let's try the previous script with a delete command instead. Use the same proceedure you did before.

@ECHO OFF

sc delete "CMS PortIO" 
IF %errorlevel% equ 0 ECHO keyname is "CMS PortIO" && goto done

sc getkeyname "CMS PortIO">temp123.txt
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%G IN ('type temp123.txt') DO SET keyname=%%G
del /q temp123.txt
set keyname=%keyname:~39%
ECHO %keyname%
sc delete "%keyname%"
:done
pause>nul
exit

Also take note of the keyname that should appear this time.

With Regards,
The Panda

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 22 June 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#12 joefosho315

joefosho315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

Panda, this is the message that I get:

"[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

keyname is "CMS PortIO"

Any ideas?

#13 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hello.

Sorry, I keep messing up that script (didn't know sc command doesn't set errorlevel). This one will find the keyname (should have done this first). If it does, the next sript we run should delete it.

You know the drill.
@ECHO OFF
sc getkeyname "CMS PortIO">Report.txt
sc getdisplayname "CMS PortIO">>Report.txt
Report.txt
This time a text document should open with the keyname. Copy that back in your next reply.

With Regards,
The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users