Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Rebooting When External Hard Drive Is Connected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tartansapper

tartansapper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

I have a Freecom external hard drive which up until yesterday was connected to my pc and working perfectly.Then last night just after i had run a registry mechanic program my pc rebooted itself,i just let it carry on and just before it got to my log in page a little box appeared for a second which said out of range and then the pc rebooted again.When the hard drive is disconnected the pc boots up as normal and everything is fine but once you try to connect it up again it just starts to reboot.I tried changing the usb lead and the power source lead but the same thing happened.I'm using Windows XP Home Version.If anyone can help or sugest other things to try it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Allan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

Try the drive on a known good working system other than yours.

Info re out of range message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286331

Are you booting the system with the external drive attached and on? What happens if you boot with it off (but attached)?

Sometimes...having USB devices (other than monitor/keyboard) attached results in XP trying to boot the USB device, rather than the C: drive. You might check your boot order in the BIOS, just for the sake of verifying.

Louis

#3 tartansapper

tartansapper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for answering Louis.
I tried the hard drive on an other pc and it wouldn't recognise it a message just came up saying there was a fault with this device.So really it must be a fault with the hard drive itself.There isn't an on /off swith on it so i can only connect it to my pc with the usb and the power cable so i can't reboot the system with it switched off like you suggested.Is there anything else i can do to access the hard drive as i've got a lot of music on there which unfortunately i didn't back up anywhere else!Any suggestions would be mucj appreciated,

Jim

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

"Out of Range" error usually means a bad display setting. Probably the refresh rate or possibly resolution. Can you get into safemode?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 tartansapper

tartansapper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

Funnily enough i don't seem to be getting that out of range message now but it's definitely the hard drive thats knackered as when i connect it up now there's just a clicking noise coming from it and it doesn't do anything.Just wondering if there was anyway to get the data off it as i had a lot of music on there.If not i've definitely learned my lesson about backing the music up somewhere else instead of just keeping it in one location lol !!

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users