Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going To Give It A Shot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Texan

The Texan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

Im thinking about taking the plunge and building my first computer. I have an idea of which hard drive, graphics card and sound card I want. My question is, Im looking for a good quad core motherboard that wont over heat and will support 4gig of ram. Also I need it to be an AGP based board. Any suggestions?

Thank
Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

I'm pretty sure they don't make quad-core motherboards with AGP slots. Why must it be AGP? PCIex16 cards are much better, a lot cheaper, and have a wider variety. If you want quad-core, go with Intel though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Id tell yah the same.

A 4GB Quad-core supporting board isn't too hard to find but it looks like AGP is dieing out.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

AGP is a dying standard, finding a board that will support it AND a quad core processor will be difficult. I found a board by Foxconn that supports Socket LGA 775 (used by recent Intel chips including quad-core) at Newegg. I searched for AGP motherboards and searched within the results for 775, that was the only one that came up. The problem is that it only supports 2 GB of RAM. There are a few AMD AM2 (Not AM2+) motherboards that support AGP, but they only allow for 2 GB of RAM too. If you can, go with PCIexpress. The choice of available motherboards expands significantly.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users