Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Keep Crashing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 willyhog

willyhog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

Before I start, let me say that all you at Bleepingcomputer.com have been incredibly helpful to me in the past, in resolving virus/malware/spyware stuff, and for fixing another game problem. However, now we come to another hurdle to leap over, as is the norm with computers.

OKAY,

So I got a new computer about 2 1/2 months ago, and I must say it is a pretty nice rig compared to my old one. Here are the specs (for referencing any known problems with these devices, and, well, to brag):
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition (The one with the unlocked multipliers, however NOT OVERCLOCKED until I can fix this problem)
Gfx: ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 (Powercolor, PCS version)
Memory: 4GB Mushkin 800Mhz DDR2 (Running in Ganged mode)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
HDD: 500GB WD Caviar (SATA)

Here is the problem:

1.) Started playing Bioshock, glorying in my new gfx, having a boatload of fun at 1680x1050 on all maxed out settings, still getting like 90 FPS or some such.
2.) After a while of playing, my video locked up. The cursor was still free for a little while, and the audio kept playing as normal, but then the screen flashed static for an instant, and went to black, meanwhile the audio started looping. Eventually the monitor completely shut down, but the CPU and HDD were still working, not like something that would happen in a CPU overheat or a surge.

Here's what I did to try to fix it:

I immediately tried to play another game to see if the problem was only Bioshock-related. I tried playing Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and the emulated version of Halo 2. Same thing happened. After this, my thoughts immediately turned to an overheat. I checked the temperature sensors using AMD Overdrive up until a few seconds before the crash, my CPU temp remained well below my margin of 80C that I set for the warning alarm, my two motherboard sensors (one at the North Bridge, the other at the South) were fine. I checked the GPU sensor, it read a very stable 41C. My next thought was that the sensors might be faulty, so I ran the game up until the crash while having a friend point an infrared thermometer into the GPU of the vcard, to the side of the CPU (under the heatsink), and on the memory as well as the N & S Bridges; the temps were completely stable.
Next I thought it might be a driver problem. I installed newer display drivers, new chipset drivers, new CPU drivers, updated Windows fully, then went to BIOS and set everything to Fail-safe (but kept the temperature settings the same) The problem still happened.
Then I thought it might be the TLB database erratum thing that the 1st and 2nd stepping AMD CPUs were supposed to have. I enabled the BIOS option to fix it, and also disabled the Auto-Express stuff for the GPU and CPU. Still had the problem.
Then I ran an Adaware, Panda, AVG, and a Panda Online scan, and they turned up with nothing whatsoever.
THEN I reseated all the hardware, including the CPU, vcard, RAM, and turned all the fan settings up to high, nothing helped.

Now I need help, PLEASE come through for me, Bleepingcomputer.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

Off the top of my head. I'm most likely wrong since you probably built that rig yourself but do you have an adaquate Power Supply. My computer would act up in games since my PSU was overheating and the fans in it had actually died but normal use it was fine.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users