Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cant Burn A Cd/dvd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shred1970

shred1970

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

anyone plese help .... i cant burn/ copy anything onto my cd/dvd drive ..... i have enough memory space for it i'm using the right disks but i when my pc asks me to put in a blank cd and i do my pc comes up either with an error message or just wont recognise that i have put a cd in.i've done everything from making sure certain services are started to upgrading drivers. my pc tells me the drive are up and working but i cant burn data/photos/vid/ anything ?????
windows help was of absolutely no help .... hope i can find some here :thumbsup:
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

It would help somewhat if you could specify what the error messages that pop-up state. That may give more clues as to what may be causing the problem.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

thanks for the reply.ok, in the system event viewer it says
"The IMAPI CD Burning COM Service was successfully sent a start control".
when I actually go to burn anything, lets say pix, and it gets to the bit "Please insert a blank cd into the drive" i do that and then a small window appears (not an error) with a big red x in it with the message
" E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function "
I've turned the disc detector on and when i put in a disc it says "Disc unknown"
I can put in and play DVD's Cd's without a problem.
I hope this explains things a bit better :thumbsup:
Again thanx for the reply
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

Try this fix: http://djlizard.net/2007/04/30/230/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

Here are a few things that may or may not help.

Open My Computer
Right-Click on CD-CDRW drive
Select Properties
Open Recording tab
Check enable CD recording

Check and adjust registry values:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Go to the Start Menu, then click on Run...

2. Type in "regedit" and hit the Enter key or click the OK button.

3. Once the Registry Editor is up, navigate through the folders at the left (by clicking the "+" signs) until you get down to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

4. Click on that Explorer folder/key. In the right side of the registry editor you should have an entry/value called NoCDBurning. Double-click that name.

5. In the window that opens you will see a place for "Value data." A 1 here enables NoCDBurning, meaning you will have NO CD burning. This will definitely stop you from being able to use your CD-RW drive to write. So if you have a 1 here then this may be your problem. Replace the 1 with a 0 to disable NoCDBurning, thereby enabling CD Burning. (Sheesh! Did Microsoft really have to go about this backwards?) Click on OK.

6. Close the Registry Editor and Restart your computer

Other articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;316529

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=winxp

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/363903-...t-function.html
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

I had a cd/rw drive that quit burning but would read. I tried it in another computer with the same result. Replaced it and problem solved.

#7 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.......I've tried them all except for getting a new dvd drive but alas i still have my problem where my pc wont recognize a blank disc. I searched the internet as well and found that a lot of people have had the same problem as me. everything my pc tells me is working fine, the drivers the device is all good as far as my pc is concerned. I did replace my old drive with an LG super multi RW about 2 years ago. maybe my new drive is dying ?
Thanks again everyone. :thumbsup:

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

I can put in and play DVD's Cd's without a problem.

But blanks don't work. So....

Have you looked at your options in AutoPlay? Right click the drive and select properties. Select the AutoPlay Tab. Under the drop down arrow, do you see a choice for Blank CD? If you have Blank CD, then what choices do you see to choose from?

If you don't see it, post back about that too.

Edited by mommabear, 22 June 2008 - 12:19 PM.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.
In my auto play dropdown menu there is no choice for a blank cd/dvd.
In other news I have now found I can burn anything on my DVD drive as long as I'm using a blank DVD-RW. A program called InCD comes up and I just drag files to the drive and it has worked. When I uninstalled InCD absolutely nothing worked, so I put it back in and its back to the -RW's which is semi ok
However the drive still wont recognize a blank DVD-R.
I think I will wait now before doing anything drastic like playing with the registry, now that everyone (including me) has a
"clearer" idea of whats going on.
Many many thanks again for all the suggestions everyone :thumbsup:

#11 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

PS. I went into the registry ..... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and at this location in the right pane it has 2 items
1. default REG_SZ Value not set
2. NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_BINARY 5f 00 00 00
:thumbsup:

#12 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

Since you are missing Blank CD, take a look again. Are some others missing? Maybe, maybe not. But that fact that one is missing indicates a similar problem that I had. So I'll just tell you what I did to fix it, and maybe it'll help you.

I did all the other reg changes, used all the utilities I could find on the net and nothing worked. I tried TweakUI, AutoPlayRepair, Auto Fix, Clean Handlers, the upper and lower filters thing. I always used System Restore before each one. When they didn't work, I uninstalled them and used my restore point to start over again. Some of the utilities like Tweak UI, helped me delete some old burning software that was in the list to choose from, but none of the utilities would let me add back the Blank CD and DVD Movie categories that were missing in my combo CD-DVD burner. Also, when I looked at the drives in My Computer, my DVD-CDRW just said CDRom.

I finally found a forum post in Google that pointed me here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;330135

It talks about Roxio, which I don't use, but I read on. My fix was using #3 and #4. I'm betting it was #4 that really fixed me because I'd already made the changes earlier that are described in #3. Once I applied the changes to Winlogon in #4, I got my missing Blank CD and Video movie back in my drop down selections and my drives now appear and work as they should. Also, my combo DVD-CDRW no longer says CDrom in My Computer. My disks were readable again too.

This fixed everything for me. That was two months ago and my drives are still working properly.

Good luck!

Just be sure to make a System Restore Point and/or backup your registry first...just to be on the safe side.

#13 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Hi everyone thanks again for all the suggestions. I went to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;330135
and covered everything there except for Step 3e ( Locate and then click the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer says i should come to a part
of the registry that says NoDriveTypeAutoRun. when I get there instead of NoDriveTypeAutoRun
I have 4 items - Default, ClearRecentDocsOnExit, NoLOwDiskSpaceChecks and NoSMMyPictures. I've retraced my steps 10 times so I'm where this step told me to go.....Other than step (3e) everything else is
fine. All my drivers have been checked and updated so I'm still down to only using blank DVD-RW's ?
Also I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
as douglas martin directed and my value here is niether a 1 or a 0, it's "0000 5F 00 00 00 _..."
I'm off to try usasms' link to a fix in an earlier post......... thanks again everyone :thumbsup:
Oh by the way I went out and bought another brand of DVD-R's and a packet of +R's but still so far I can only burn with a
an -RW type DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users